Thread: Attempting a Pair of Sublimation Printed Neoprene Tails

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Junior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Hi! I'm thinking of embarking on a similar project so I'm super happy I found this thread. So by the sounds of it you're buying the fabric and then sending it off to be printed on else where? So far I've only been looking at companies that send the fabric ready printed. Is there any reason you chose to have a seperate place print on it (price / durability etc)? Also, do you have any idea how well the ink will 'stick' to the fabric and whether chlorine / salt water will fade it / chip it?

Quote Originally Posted by MerDragon View Post
    Hi! I'm thinking of embarking on a similar project so I'm super happy I found this thread. So by the sounds of it you're buying the fabric and then sending it off to be printed on else where? So far I've only been looking at companies that send the fabric ready printed. Is there any reason you chose to have a seperate place print on it (price / durability etc)? Also, do you have any idea how well the ink will 'stick' to the fabric and whether chlorine / salt water will fade it / chip it?
    I'm starting a fabric tail printing company and I'm doing it that way, ordering fabric from one place and having it printed at a dedicated dye sublimation printing shop (local to me).

Contrado is a lot more expensive than what I'm paying. It's not that bad if you're just doing one tail, though. I've heard ok things about the quality too.

Update on mine: I've done two test batches since last post and they've turned out pretty well. Exposed some issues with my templates that I've hopefully corrected and have a third batch ready to go. Print quality has been great. Fabric place sent me a roll of scuba knit but in two pieces, which is really annoying (Apparently I was supposed to have asked for one single piece if it was a big deal) so I have to redo my print layout and hope my printing guy isn't too grumpy about it.

Junior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I had a look, but sadly I don't have anywhere to print nearby (I live in quite a rural area). Is there anything you're doing to protect the print from fading in chlorine / salt water, or is that not an issue with sublimation printing?

Quote Originally Posted by MerDragon View Post
    I had a look, but sadly I don't have anywhere to print nearby (I live in quite a rural area). Is there anything you're doing to protect the print from fading in chlorine / salt water, or is that not an issue with sublimation printing?
    No, I don't....BELIEVE.....it's an issue, but I guess time will tell

Like, it shouldn't be a problem with dye-sub printing, in general