Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rocky Mountian Meetup?

The weekend of June 25/26 would probably work pretty well actually. It would be good to start looking at aquatic locations also. I know of at least a few swimming holes that might work but some may be more desirable than others.

Any of those dates would work for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
    Owner/Operator behind Tails & Portholes
    Store Blog
    - Personal Blog - Twitter - Instagram - Store Facebook
    This treasure cums for YOUR booty

So let's say Saturday, June 25th! YAAAY, a meetup is scheduled!! As for location, Seraphina Aturdokht had mentioned northerly Colorado - I'm fine with driving north, but I'm not familiar with the area so I can't really suggest a location. Any ideas?

Side note: Seraphina Aturdokht, you wouldn't happen to be Serafina Cosplay, would you? If so, we met briefly at Project Cosplay. I'm friends with Kristi.

I'm afraid I am not affiliated with Serafina Cosplay and know nothing about them. I do make and wear my own costumes when the opportunity arises but I just do my own thing and don't have any Cosplay credentials ^_^. I will start hunting up some good places to swim. Unfortunately there are not very many that are not fairly cold year round as their water is mostly snow runoff from the mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphina Aturdokht View Post
    I'm afraid I am not affiliated with Serafina Cosplay and know nothing about them. I do make and wear my own costumes when the opportunity arises but I just do my own thing and don't have any Cosplay credentials ^_^. I will start hunting up some good places to swim. Unfortunately there are not very many that are not fairly cold year round as their water is mostly snow runoff from the mountains.
    Haha, okay, just thought I'd ask, since your names were so similar. Yeah, just let us know. I'll also ask some of my native friends if they have any good suggestions. What "north" area are we aiming for? (Longmont, Loveland, Fort Collins, Greeley, etc?)

There's a few rec centers that allow mermaid tails. Golden city rec center has the warmest water.

Store Blog

Rec centers and other pools are certainly worth looking at though I don't know precisely where Golden City is. For my part when I am thinking about Northerly areas it is usually Fort Collins that first comes to mind. That is still a good 80 miles south but it makes a good central meeting ground. I know that there are some state parks around various water bodies such as horsetooth reservoir near Fort Collins that might be all right.

I looked up the info for Horsetooth Reservoir: http://www.co.larimer.co.us/parks/br...horsetooth.pdf
    I found the following info about swimming on a different website (http://www.coloradoan.com/story/spor...ater/12849423/)
    Swimming: South Bay and Sunrise swim beaches. South Bay can be accessed by driving north through the South Bay Inlet area. Sunrise is located on the east side of the reservoir, and can be accessed by driving north on Centennial Drive past Rotary Park. There are no lifeguards on duty.

Does this sound like a good option to everybody? South Bay looks like it's right by one of the entrances and has more options, but either one should work. Let me know your thoughts!

Horsetooth would work. I was looking at some hot springs as well but I doubt folks would be wildly excited to come all the way to Wyoming even if the water is wonderful. The directions might be a little confusing but it sounds like it should be open and accessible as we need it.

Member Rocky Mountain Pod Onyx Jewel Catfish's Avatar
    The hot spring in Idaho Springs is nice for mermaiding. Small and intimate. However not free

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Enjoy Today, Tomorrow Is Not A Promise.

Horsetooth isn't free either, but it's only $7/car, as opposed to about $19/person (if I remember correctly?) for the Indian Hot Springs. I'm good with either one, but we were looking at the FoCo area to make it an easier trip for Seraphina Aturdokht.

Having said that, I may need to back out because our delayed Father's Day dinner with the in-laws got planned for this day (and I'm the reason we can't do it on Father's Day) so the location and time (whether I can make it back for dinner, which is always early with them) will decide whether or not I can attend at all :T

Member Rocky Mountain Pod Onyx Jewel Catfish's Avatar
    Any time frames yet?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Enjoy Today, Tomorrow Is Not A Promise.

How cold is the water? We would want to go on a hot day if its really cold.

Store Blog

The water in horsetooth usually isn't too bad even if it is almost entirely winter runoff. It is a long and relatively thin reservoir with pretty good surface area for warming. Though at this point it seems quite unlikely I will be available on the 25th so it may be worth considering places closer to the majority of the population.

Ok, if we're going to move this to the Denver area, I could probably come to a lunch-time meetup and still get home for dinner with the in-laws. Would everyone be okay with a lunch meetup? Maybe get there around 11am and leave early afternoon? (Or of course, stay as long as you want, but I'll need to leave early afternoon.)

There are several parks/reservoirs in the Denver area with swim beaches. A few that I know are Chatfield State Park (Littleton), Bear Creek Lake Park (Lakewood), and Cherry Creek Reservoir (Aurora). Entrance is $10 or less (depending on park) per car. Once again, if anyone knows of other good swimming holes, let us know. And/or if you want to go to any of these specifically, speak up! I've been wanting to go to Bear Creek ever since I first discovered it when driving past a couple months ago. It's got a beautiful view of the mountains just across E-470.

Anyone still interested in meeting in the Denver area on the 25th?

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod Sitre Seer Moroaica's Avatar
    Follow Sitre Seer Moroaica On Twitter Add Sitre Seer Moroaica on Facebook
    Follow Sitre Seer Moroaica on Tumblr Visit Sitre Seer Moroaica's Youtube Channel
    Depending on how far north you guys go the Thornton Rec Center allows tails. The deepest end is 15' ^.^
    Sadly I wont be able to make this one as I'll be in Europe but I hope you guys have loads of fun

Quote Originally Posted by Sitre Seer Moroaica View Post
    Depending on how far north you guys go the Thornton Rec Center allows tails. The deepest end is 15' ^.^
    Sadly I wont be able to make this one as I'll be in Europe but I hope you guys have loads of fun
    Thanks for letting us know!

Is there anyone who can make it this weekend that is still interested? If so, let's pick a spot (I'm good with anywhere in the metro area) and get this setup. If not, maybe we should shoot for another weekend, maybe in July? Let me know so I can make plans!

Ok, since nomer has chimed in with a yes, I'm gonna go ahead and say let's not meet this weekend. I'm going to make a separate thread for a meetup in the Denver area; the rest of my summer is filling up fast, so I don't know that I could make it up to FoCo at this point (although, of course, anymer is welcome to organize a meetup wherever!)

I've been offline since we just moved into a new house. I wouldn't mind a Denver meet!

Store Blog