Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Finfolk Productions Wait Time

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    They wont return it once used.
    So what’s happening to all the mers that have holes in their tails?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    well damage in all tails is normal. if it CAME with holes, then I'm sure they'll refund, but if you make them, that's normal wear and tear

Senior Member Pod of Texas
    Pod of The South
    In the general area of Webster and Clear Lake in Texas
    Neoprene shouldn’t tear like that after one use regardless. I’m lucky I have a dive shop I can just take mine to if it gets holes, but I had a tail made of much thinner neoprene that got dragged across asphalt, rocks and concrete for four years and NEVER got a hole from it. Some worn out spots on the print of the fabric but no holes. I dunno, maybe I was just really lucky.

I got my shipping notification on Monday though, but won’t be getting my tail because of shipping delays due to the hurricane. I’d much rather they stay safe than try to work during the storm anyway.

I am honestly wondering if they were swindled on their neoprene. maybe it's neoprin. it reminds me of spacer material. and from what I've heard from others who have a gen 1 and a gen 2 they're quite diff

Pod of The South
    That’s what I was thinking too when I felt my friend’s, I just didn’t want to think about that. It doesn’t feel the same as the wetsuits as the dice shop even just by texture of the stuff in the middle.

I can work with neoprin, but still. And if they were swindled and were given neoprin instead, that’s really concerning.

Yeah they did say the think their supplier duped them a bit. The only change THEY requested was a switch from black neoprene to white. But there's huge differences between the old neoprene and the new, with stretch being a big one. I know they aren't planning to use them again.

Senior Member North Pacific Pod inanna's Avatar
    :/ that sucks, i hope they get a new supplier
    grays harbor mermaid
    "She would be half the world away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by the moonlight"
    - Janet Fitch

Pod of The South
    Well, maybe it’s a good thing the size I ordered is half an inch too small! Haha! I’ll enjoy having a new tail either way.

Pod of The South
    Just got my tail delivered right as I got home from a doctor appointment! I didn’t expect it to really be that bright!

Month 54 has now come and gone and not even a peep.

I last heard from the girls back on June 30th confirming that the paint correction was made based off the picture they had sent on June 20th. On the same June 20th pictures there was a fin added that had not been on my final design even though it was present in the initial layout.
    On the same day (June 30th) I asked if they could take a close up picture of the area that was to be corrected to confirm the touchup and asked if the one fin could be removed at this point since it was not in the final design I had submitted (I also told them it was not big deal if it could not be removed.. I just had concerns of it ripping being where it was positioned)

I never heard back after my request for a close up photo and about the fin.

I wrote again on August 29th and got an auto response that they would be back September 4th.
    I wrote again on September 20th but so far no response........

Am I crazy or is it too much to ask for a picture to confirm a paint touchup??

Senior Member North Pacific Pod inanna's Avatar
    that's not crazy at all
    grays harbor mermaid
    "She would be half the world away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by the moonlight"
    - Janet Fitch

Sorry you're waiting so long

Honestly I will say it's not normal to micro manage tail making this way. I don't know any tail makers who will answer so many emails and photo requests etc. Not saying anything judgemental to you, just that it's NOT industry standard. Usually you get one or two photos, and usually tail makers charge for extra remediation.

At this point I would just ask for your tail to be sent rather than more back and forth. Pictures really don't do tails justice anyway. You need to see it in person.

I feel bad that these ladies are so talented but aren't equipped to deal with the demand. Lately it seems like they're running into a lot of snags, and because they're trying to take on a lot, they're falling behind on a lot. They can't get to everyone/everything and don't have time to deal with every problem/inquiry. I feel like they should stop taking additional orders/starting new projects until they've sorted out their personal lives and any business upgrades/expansions. Granted I know nothing about running a business, this can't be good for their health and, as we've seen, isn't good for their reputation.

.:YouTube:.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/MermaidAiera
    .:Facebook:.
    https://www.facebook.com/MermaidAiera/

^^^ Like me on Facebook for fan updates and booking!!! ^^^
    ^^^ Follow me on Instagram @The_Long_Island_Mermaid ((MermaidAiera)) ^^^

Sorry you're waiting so long

Honestly I will say it's not normal to micro manage tail making this way. I don't know any tail makers who will answer so many emails and photo requests etc. Not saying anything judgemental to you, just that it's NOT industry standard. Usually you get one or two photos, and usually tail makers charge for extra remediation.

At this point I would just ask for your tail to be sent rather than more back and forth. Pictures really don't do tails justice anyway. You need to see it in person.
    First, this is not so many emails/photo requests. One photo request does not equal "so many" and as far as emails, well if one answers we can put this debacle to rest, finally.

I have worked with other costume designers on other projects and have always gotten update photos, final photos and requested photos for work that was only in the hundreds. When one is talking about a multi-thousand dollar item and getting the design and paint scheme correct as was initially laid out...... yeah, some pictures are required to finalize this transaction, especially if something was done that was not requested. Honestly, how hard is it to take ones camera/phone, layout the tail in question and take a picture of one section of the tail...... like 10 minutes to get this done??? Hell, you can save some time and send it via direct text. Click. Send. Confirm. Done.

As far as just getting the tail at this point... so I get it, its not correct and now i have to send it back, pay more and wait longer for these corrections? Ummmm...... yeah...

Sorry but the point still stands in the mermaid world it's not industry standard. It never has been unless you're working with someone who is just starting out and only takes on one tail at a time.

My understanding over this 3 year thing (I think we are at 3 years now?) is that you've had a LOT of back and forth with them (based on your own posts and theirs) more so than anyone else. Including design implementations they weren't comfortable doing.

They are responsible for their wait times, but every time you dispute something and want photos it's going to go back into rotation. Even mertailor recently wrote about this when it comes to changes and fixes. It's normal for art companies to CHARGE for remeditations. Usually you get one included and that's it. I think Finfolk is the only tail making company at this level left that has yet to implement that kind of thing.

The costuming world isn't the same as the mermaid tail world. We can't pretend these silicone cast creations that are actually function-able, that have curing limitations etc are the same.

No excuses for them being THIS late at all. I am not blaming you for that. But I think it's important people reading understand there's been a lot of back and forth between you guys that exceeds beyond what is industry standard.

Marla is in the same boat. She wanted something that hadn't been done yet. they did it, it didn't work, had to do it again, lots of back and forth. Again, I don't blame her for them taking so long either. There's no doubt about it that both of you should have your tails by now.

But both your situations are unique and not the norm for their company, or any silicone tail making company.

Actually it has been 4 years+ (54 months to be exact) since the initial payment was sent and was told it would take several months to complete. Design was finalized May 15, 2014 with a customized fluke finalized June 4, 2014 and individual scale upgrade on July1, 2014. After that NO changes where made other than them asking for my measurements again in March 2015 and asking for a darker green after the initial paint job was done in January 2018. (I do have an entire timeline that can be posted)

I would love to know what the "industry standard" in communication is for the tail manufacturing industry

Remediation is one thing, and yes I did ask for a darker green where the initial green was laid out (lets admit, color on a screen is different in real life), but not getting the design correct AS LAID OUT is not the fault of the customer as is the addition of a fin that should not have been there based on the finalized, agreed upon design (which I can also post)

But lets be totally honest shall we. In spite of the initial 3 months to finalize everything from payment to final, agreed upon design, this has been a series of "unfortunate events": Fluke was done in Aug 2014, then a move to Hawaii, then it was being constructed, then a picture unpainted, then a move back to the mainland, then the tail had to be completely remade due to workmanship, then another move, which brought us to the last request for a darker shade of green and finally questioning if the darker shade was applied (pictures available upon request) and why is there a fin where there should not be one (again, picture and finalized design can be posted).

But maybe you are right....... lets just have the tail sent and see IF all is as it should be or if some things were still missed. :-)

Email sent to just send the tail.

Not signing off that it is 100% what I want... I just want this debacle to be over.
    When I get it in hand I will post pictures and if everything is as it should be or isn't.

at some point the back and forth goes far beyond what is reasonable IMO. Or changing your mind on something once it has already been done. (like a fin that can't easily be removed once it's been put there)

As someone in the mer community for 10+ years, since commercial tail makers started, I can tell you right from the start high end tails get about 3 email replies and 1-2 sets of photos. You don't have to like it, and of course there will be outliers who are much smaller and have less workload. But thems the breaks. It's always been that way, and some companies are able to offer more than that for a time but then as soon as they hit the big time, they end up in the same boat. You can't compare it to other costuming. Changing paint, adding or removing a fin or other aspect of a design, is not the same as hem this, add this here etc.

You do not need to be so defensive with me, I appreciate your frustration. my point in these comments for those reading is to understand yours and Marla's case are *not* the norm. I actually asked for their side about both of your orders (as Marla is a dear dear friend and I have also been really concerned about how long hers is taking - however they are waiting to hear back from her on paint and she has been unwell and unable to reply) because I felt your wait time was very unfair and hoped that my asking might prod them to go faster.

You are right, there is a series of events that aren't normal you had to endure. But I do think your expectation of micromanaging your tail is a bit off from what IS the market normal, and I do sincerely believe it has contributed to the wait time. I am not BLAMING you, I appreciate your argument that you are spending all this money. But going forward I think this is a bit of a lesson for this industry should you choose to ever order another high end silicone tail again.

All that being said, I hope you get your tail and it's everything you dreamed of, and worth the wait!

Add Mermaid_Elinha on Facebook
    I also have had problems with Finfolk.

I ordered a tail in the very first sale they did on Black Friday. After 3 months of not getting anything I emailed them asking why, I am a part of the podsquad and saw people who had ordered the same tail had received theirs. They told me that they had no received the shipment yet. A month later after not receiving it, I emailed them again, and was told that the shipment was lost and that they could send me a tail in a size smaller, to see if it would fit. I agreed and got the tail, but this booty did not want to cooperate. I bought the tail that was too small and gave it to my twin who has a smaller frame then me. After this I was told that they got the shipment in and would send my tail, this was in April. 5 months after the November sale. They told me they would send me a tail of my choice from their May sale to make up for the several months of waiting I went through. I was super excited. I emailed them that I would like the Goby tail, They told me that they would ship it out with the other tails. They emailed me last week that they did not have any more Goby tails, and that they werent going to be able to ship it out until after Black Friday this year. It really sucks, because I LOVE their products, but their business practices are not very good.

I also feel like anytime someone posts something slightly negative in the pod squad, everyone attacks them, and Finfolk removes the post.
    Add Whimsy to the World!

Yeah they did say the think their supplier duped them a bit. The only change THEY requested was a switch from black neoprene to white. But there's huge differences between the old neoprene and the new, with stretch being a big one. I know they aren't planning to use them again.
    If this is the case will the new fall
    Line be made out of the neoprin instead of neoprene? Wouldn’t it be unethical to keep selling the products with a false material? Especially since the web sight says neoprene?

Just a little worried cause I ordered my first tail from them today! I know the wait will prob be like a month long which is ok! Just hope to get the quality neoprene!

Raina what monofin are you useing I’m yours now? I know you said you started with a finis rapid but it was to big for the fluke right?

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork mobile app