Thread: Scales question

Scales question

Hi everyone,

I have a question, I've tried to search on here but didn't really find anything. When it comes to making a scale sheet mold, is there a difference between bigger or smaller scales? And thicker or thinner scales? Does one work better then the other or does one not come out well in the silicone stage?

Senior Member Pod of The South Rebela Hunter's Avatar
    I'm not a tailmaker, but I would assume it doesn't make a difference, so long as they're made right

I'll jump bump this thread for you and hopefully you get some good answers! <3
    'And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.' - Matthew 4:19 (KJV)

Hobbyist Mermaid & Orca Enthusiast
    DeviantART || Facebook || Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Rebela Hunter View Post
    I'm not a tailmaker, but I would assume it doesn't make a difference, so long as they're made right

I'll jump bump this thread for you and hopefully you get some good answers! <3
    Thank you 🐬 Yeah I just am not sure if small ends up getting lost in the final product. Instead of circles I have been thinking of using hearts, either side depending on how a pointed scale would look. 🖤 I guess that's what sample swatches are for 😜

Tailmaker here! It all depends on what you like!! I personally love big graphic looking scales, but little scales (like on the original splash tail) look great too!!

My tail is made by using hearts, but I used the PearlyMae-technique (all single hearts made out of dragonskin 'glued' together)
    Here (http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...s-(pic-heavy)) you can see how I made it

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    I use 5-7 different sizes on my tails. But I do individual scales, not scale sheets!

When you do single scales, how many molds do you guys make? Like just a couple or do you have like 10-20 to get more in a single batch? I've been thinking about trying single scales but I haven't researched yet how much it takes for one batch to cure and how long you have after curing to be able to glue other pieces together.

I have 20 big hearts and 20 in a size smaller.
    Name:  04.JPG
Views: 239
Size:  288.8 KB

Looking at cookie cut outs for scale shapes and I came across this. Would silicone be able to cite in a silicone mold?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0188...ID=71SA36ppgKL

NO! Silicone sticks to silicone. You'd have use a mold release, and then you'd never be able to get your scales clean enough to adhere them together.

Quote Originally Posted by PearlieMae View Post
    NO! Silicone sticks to silicone. You'd have use a mold release, and then you'd never be able to get your scales clean enough to adhere them together.
    Thanks! I wasn't sure if it had to be the same type of silicone for them to stick. Do you have any idea how the silicone would react to a metal cookie mold?

Silicone peels out of metal perfectly...but NOT non-stick metal...it must be bare metal!

Senior Member Euro Pod Freshwater_Nim's Avatar
    Heya! Just a short comment, I actually made my enitre fluke in a silicone mold. It does work! But you need to make Super sure you've got a good even layer of release agent. (Vaseline worked well for me). If you don't you end up like me and my dorsal fin..which is now fused for all eternity with its mold.

So it works, but it's risky
    EARTH WITHOUT ART IS JUST EH. --- Scales by Nim ---
    Tailmaking Diary