Thread: Finis Rapid/Wave Question

Question Finis Rapid/Wave Question

So I'm looking to get my first monofin, and after much internet searching I'm basically settling for the Finis Wave or Rapid (I can't-at this time-justify the cost for importing a hydra to Canada which makes me a little sad) and am a bit concerned about the foot sizing.

Given that my height is around 5'9" or 173-175cm (depends on the day, really) my footsize is on the small end at a women's (US) 8.5....ish. I can fit an 8 or a 9 depending on the fit. I also have narrow feet.

My question is; would I be better off getting a wave or a rapid? I'd rather have the larger fin, but if the sizing is off it'd be more a headache than it's worth.

Help!

I'm a bit shorter than you - 5'6" - but my shoe size is about the same - anywhere from 7.5 wide to 9 medium because women's shoes are stupid. I went straight for the Rapid and never tried a wave. The Rapid works very well for me and my feet fit in it very nicely. Some people use neoprene socks inside their fin to get the fin to fit extra snug, but I don't think you'll have a problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thanks so much Ginger; that helps me a lot. And I wholeheatedly agree that women's shoes are stupid.

For your foot size you will need a Rapid or a Hydra Wave or Triton will be to small for you.

I want a hydra but the shipping to canada is more than twice the cost of the actual fin

Have you checked ebay? Sometimes you can buy used and get a discount. Just check the condition very carefully before spending the cash.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I have checked ebay, but at this point it seems like the best price is going to be from amazon.ca and direct from Finis themselves, unless something miraculous happens, lol.

I'm having sizing confusion as well :? I've heard that the finis wave can fit a woman size 2-8, and i see a lot of mermaids using this monofin. From what i've heard of it's flexibility, I'm fairly certain that this is the monofin I want for my first, but the finis website says that the wave is for youth size. Will it really fit me? I'm a women's 7.5 (US sizing)

For anyone on the edge, I'd recommend going up to the Rapid (although I still haven't swum in mine...lol). I wear between a 7 and 8 and my Wave is tiny on my feet, pinches the sides although I do have wide feet, and crams my toes in the end. I have neoprene socks that help my Rapid on my feet to grip, although like I said, I haven't had time to swim in mine.

It's not that bad, right? I've only had it...two months. Oops.

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by MerEmma View Post
    For anyone on the edge, I'd recommend going up to the Rapid (although I still haven't swum in mine...lol). I wear between a 7 and 8 and my Wave is tiny on my feet, pinches the sides although I do have wide feet, and crams my toes in the end. I have neoprene socks that help my Rapid on my feet to grip, although like I said, I haven't had time to swim in mine.

It's not that bad, right? I've only had it...two months. Oops.
    I have size 7.5 feet and i find the wave comfortable! lol I don't have wide feet, so that probably helps. I have crammed my little sister's size 9s into my wave too, even if it doesn't exactly fit her well.

The rapid has a much bigger paddle though. It would probably be just as comfy for me because the straps adjust down to pretty tight.

So both fins would fit me, and probably you guys too. (with varying degrees of snugness)

Thanks everyone! This helped a lot! Now I just have to figure out when I'm going to buy it!