Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Little Orca's New Tail

Red face Little Orca's New Tail

As some of you remember from the other forum, I am making my third fabric tail. Soon, my heart, soon we will have better...

Anyfin, I am still working on my new tail. I brought over from the other forum some of the information and images I had posted on the other place to get this restarted and going. I won't post everything as a picture and some changes have been made.

Here is a preview video. In it, I am showing that I am indeed making a new tail, the fabric color, and I talk a little about my shrinking tail (weight loss). There is a cameo appearance by Selkie, my torti-point Siamese cat, and it is her bell you hear jingling through the first half of the video.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDrSZRm77aE

The fabric is a thick lycra that is dark blue. The outside (pretty side) has little black dots on it that are shiny and give it a semi-scaled look without there having to be large sequins. I was planning to paint scales (not sure now) and do a lot of embellishments and designs with paint and maybe some glitter, so that will all be revealed as time goes on.

The paint colors for the detail work on my tail may change. The main tail color is a dark blue (looks navy inside, but in sunlight it's not) and the accent colors I originally got were dark teal, berry, and lavender. The purple-ish colors were to be mostly on the fins.

The original design: http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/f...Progress-1.jpg

My plans went a little bit away from a butterfly koi and more towards what I called a parrot fish and now ... who knows. I really wanted a lyre-tail look but could not afford a new monofin just yet and felt I may as well just work with what I have; especially given how expensive my paints I need to get are (Yes, I think the purple paint plan is dead, more details later). The use of extra fins, as was present in my blue tail, is under debate. I had them completed and sewn into the tail before the two pieces came together last time, but this tail I did not include them before sewing. It will be simple to add them, but it all depends on how I get the rest of the tail looking. Mr. Orca said that he liked how the fins look in the water, but out of the water the fin-less look was better; at least in the cloth tails. Still unsure.

Construction Pictures!

And for the grand finale of this post, I do have an image of me sitting in the tail at my computer desk. It is unpainted so it looks quite plain. The extra fabric in the tail is bunching but once the paint comes on the weight of it tends to make it lay a little flatter. The dog is my mini dachshund Molly, a puppy mill rescue, and the other dog in the image is my sister's dachshund who I am babysitting. My sister's other dachshund is hidden in the warm blankets.

And for bubbles and giggles... this was me 85 pounds ago... Can you see the difference? *Giggle*

~*~ To Thine Own Mermaid Be True ~*~
    ~~~ Follow me on Facebook: Merlissa the Mermaid~~~
    Deviant Art Etsy Store YouTube Mermaid Blog Instagram

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    any fin, LOL love that

Senior Member Pod of Texas Taylor is a Mermaid's Avatar
    You go girl! 85 pounds--WOW! And I can really see it. When I was planning my tail, I probably watched your tail making/swimming videos about 50 times. Don't worry, I won't copy though. My tail will look very different from yours, but you've really been an inspiration for me.

And I love that you have a rescue dog. We suspect my boxer Sasha might have been a puppy mill dog; she was very young and the vet said looked like she had spent much of her life pregnant. She didn't know anything about how to be a dog besides mothering stuffed animals. Puppy mills make me sick. Also, your sister's dachsund is doing what my Chihuahua, Bambi, is doing like 70% of the time, lol. Little dogs sure do love to burrow.

girrrrrrrl, what's your secret to the weight loss?! =D

I love it's deep color and shimmery sheen! It's lovely! Especially the paint job!

The paint job on the new one is still being worked out. Nothing is coming to mind!

Wow.... I feel incredibly stupid right now, i got the two tails meshed into one -.- guess I should stop reading mer forums during class, can't pay attention to either one properly :P

*Giggle* It's all right! I can completely understand them getting mixed up.

The fluke's pattern is still blanking on me. I got some great paints, all on sale, so a normal purchase of $20 for four containers was only $14 today. Anyfin, these are my colors:

Violet with a Gold Halo............Super Sparkle White...............Dark Blue..........Blue with a Green Halo .......... Bronze

These are the colors that will go into the fluke. Only problem... I don't know how yet. *sigh* I'm working on it.

I don't know but I loooove that sparkly white color. So pretty.

looking good ma!
    I Believe

I love the bronze!

I cannot wait to see your new tail! I didn't even realize you could paint a fabric tail until I watched your videos...which is how I am going to make my orca tail

Senior Member North Pacific Pod LindseyLu's Avatar
    I know it's going to look great whatever pattern you decide for the fluke!!! The colors are great How do the lumiers hold up in the water? HAve you had any isues with cracking, fading, etc? And are getting them around here somewhere or getting them online? I couldn't find any at Michaels I like that they are pearlescent and I want to try some on the purple tail I'm starting on!

By the way, you are looking fabuolously fabulous!!!!! Keep up the great work!! It is very hard, I know from first hand experience! I've lost 65 lbs in the past couple years and am trying to keep losing...still have about 20-30 to go until I'm where I want to be. 85 lbs is a HUGE accomplishment, you are an inspiration in so many ways!!! <3 u Little Orca!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LindseyLu View Post
    How do the lumiers hold up in the water? HAve you had any isues with cracking, fading, etc? And are getting them around here somewhere or getting them online? I couldn't find any at Michaels I like that they are pearlescent and I want to try some on the purple tail I'm starting on!
    They are great on fabric tails. The only color I have a hard time with in terms of pealing occasionally is the Super Sparkle. However, if you keep the layering thin and do not just cake the paint on and then are sure to heat-seal it, then they work great. They are the paints I have used on my last two tails as well as Mr. Orca's tail. You can get them atm at Fabric Depot (since I know you are in the same town :P) or at JoAnn's near 82nd (which are on sale atm, 30% off I think).

Quote Originally Posted by melbel1023 View Post
    girrrrrrrl, what's your secret to the weight loss?! =D
    Lots of movement. Shake that tail fin!

Here is my current (current... ocean... mermaid humor) plan for the paint job on the tail. I included a dorsal fin paint job as well, since I am going to make one, but I do not think I will do any of the other little fins.

I like the paint design, especially on the dorsal fin
    I was born a fish!

Here is a picture of the paint job on the flukes. Well, half of them since I still have the other side do to. There was a part about 75% of the way done when I was about to be in tears and thought I had messed it up completely, but I walked away from it, went to my evening class, then came back and started again and it looks awesome.

This is the first time I have put spots / markings on my tail other than just attempting to paint the rays of a typical fish tail (see siggy pic). I am liking adding designs to the fluke. More pics to come when the paint job is complete!

OH WOW!!!!! I love it!!!!
    I was born a fish!

Me too! It is really beautiful; you've outdone yourself this time.