Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Andrew's Tail Making Journey

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Dr. SeaWeed's Avatar

Andrew's Tail Making Journey

Hello there fellow mers. While I still think its a little early for me to be posting anything, I was recently encouraged to post my progress so far on mold making etc. and because things are taking so long to dry I thought I might aswell while im waiting

I started out with some MonsterMakers Premium grade clay. link here: http://www.monstermakers.com/product...ard-grade-html

First I started on the scales. After some trial and error with different types of seeds I ended up choosing a roasted melon seed that I liked the size/shape of.
    Next I began creating a simple push mold of the single seed, pictured here: Name:  pushmold.jpg
Views: 2949
Size:  17.3 KB

Basically, I took a styrofoam cup and ripped the sides off so it could only hold about 2 millimetres of liquid. Next I took some Weld-Bond ( a type of glue found at the hardware store) pictured here:Name:  glue.jpg
Views: 2763
Size:  16.0 KB

I filled the styrofoam cup piece with the 2 MM of glue, sprayed the seed with Pam cooking spray(so It could be easily removed). layed the roasted melon seed into the glue so it was only half submerged in the glue. after a couple days the glue was rock hard and I peeled out the seed, leaving the impression of itself in the glue.

With that finished I took out a large sheet of styrofoam and layed it down as a base for my scales. I began picking small pieces of the clay off and pushing them into the push mold I had made, then peeling out individual scales. I layed them in rows on the sheet of styrofoam until it was covered.This is a corner of that sheet of scales done in clay: Name:  clayscales.jpg
Views: 2683
Size:  29.1 KB

with those done, I began sculpting the extra fins. First I drew the shape of the fin I wanted on a piece of paper. as seen here for a pectoral fin: Name:  paper-fin.jpg
Views: 2738
Size:  27.7 KB

I then taped the picture to another sheet of styrofoam and used a fork to poke holes through the paper into the styrofoam along the lines in the fin. When I peeled the paper off I was left with a design I could cut out and begin to build clay onto. as seen here on piece of styrofoam meant for a dorsal fin: Name:  stryo-dorsal.jpg
Views: 2696
Size:  23.6 KB

To get started sculpting the fins I went out and got a clay extruder. Link here: http://www.walnuthollow.com/28301clayextruderset.aspx
    basically it allows you to make long tubes of clay among other shapes. I made a bunch of tubes and started covering my styrofoam cut out fins in the tubes of clay. once the extra fins were sculpted I slid them off of the styrofoam piece underneath and put them aside so I could build clay walls around them later. heres a picture of some of the extra fins once they were sculpted: Name:  extra fins.jpg
Views: 2800
Size:  36.9 KBName:  fin.jpg
Views: 2743
Size:  36.4 KB

Next it was onto the Fluke. I took an image of a real fish fluke and went to blockposter.com( basically a website that allows you to take any image you want and print it out to whatever dimensions you choose. It prints the image off in pieces on several different pages and you can tape them together to put the image together) link to site here: http://www.blockposters.com/

here is a picture of the image I printed out: Name:  paperfluke.jpg
Views: 2689
Size:  34.5 KB

With that done I layed the image onto yet another sheet of styrofoam and traced it. took the image away and began laying tubes of clay down again to fill in the tracing. when I was done I had this: Name:  clayfluke.jpg
Views: 2666
Size:  26.9 KB The tubes of clay start out big and get smaller the closer you get to the center of the fluke, it gives it a nice concave effect that I like.

Finally it was mold making time. I ordered some Shellshock brushable liquid plastic. link here:http://www.smooth-on.com/Shell-Shock...165/index.html
    (Its a brushable liquid plastic that is not only very durable, meaning if I take good care of the molds I can use them over and over and over without damaging them at all and as an added bonus this particular plastic doesnt require a release agent to be used when pouring rubber into molds made from it. I used some anyways to be safe but even the parts of the side of the mold where I didnt apply release agent didnt have rubber stick to them.)

Here is a video showing all the clay sculptures, the clay walls being built around them and them after they are covered in liquid plastic:

Once that was dry, I peeled the sculptures away from the plastic ( was some clay left in the molds so I used a scrubby brush and some dish detergent to clean it out) and was left with molds like this one of the scale sheet: Name:  scale mold.jpg
Views: 2827
Size:  25.8 KB or this one of a pectoral fin: Name:  fin mold.jpg
Views: 2702
Size:  25.4 KB this was before the last bit of clay was scrubbed out.

after that I applied release agent to my molds, Pigmented my liquid rubber, and began brushing detail layers into the molds. once the detail layers were dry I poured in enough rubber to fill up the rest of the molds.

after those dried I could peel them out. here is a sheet of rubber scales ( unpainted and untrimmed) they are slightly pigmented with a pearlized white color for one of the tails currently being worked on: Name:  scales.jpg
Views: 2744
Size:  59.8 KB

Details will be painted onto the pigmented rubber scales/fluke etc. after the details are painted on I will coat the entire tail in Perma Wet. link here: http://www.monstermakers.com/product...s-coating.html
    its a clear glossy coat that will not only give some added protection to the paint but also it will make the tail always look like its wet even when your not near water which I think is going to be cool ^_^

I had scrap pieces of scales after I cut some of the sheets out to shape, and naturally while other things were drying I couldnt help myself but see how some colors looked on the scales. *Note* These are not the colors I will be using, I was only experimenting with some paint from my art kit
    heres the pics:Name:  silverscales.jpg
Views: 2646
Size:  41.9 KBName:  multi-scales.jpg
Views: 2701
Size:  51.0 KB

So far the plans for the tails color patterns are:

1- A king salmon
    2- A Rainbow trout
    3- A Musky

Thats all I have to share for now but there will be more in the coming weeks

**EDIT** I wanted to post the videos thus far onto this first post so no one has to go searching through pages to find them:

Peeling out scales-

Fin Construction-

Scale Stretch test-

Start of monofin-

Monofin construction(this process has been modified and will be updates eventually)-

The bare skeleton of a tail-

a couple teaser vids of the salmon tail:

Swimming in the tail-

Also I would like to add here on this first post that the latex I am using is called: Monster Makers mask making latex RD-407, Link here: http://www.monstermakers.com/product...and-Props.html
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Dr. SeaWeed; 11-23-2011 at 12:06 PM.

I love the scales, Andrew. I can't wait to see more of what you do.

~*~ To Thine Own Mermaid Be True ~*~
    ~~~ Follow me on Facebook: Merlissa the Mermaid~~~
    Deviant Art Etsy Store YouTube Mermaid Blog Instagram

Holy canoli all of this looks amazing <3
    I really can't wait to see your finished tails! They look extremely promising o.O
    You should consider taking up mermaid tails as a hobby and make them xD

Love the molds so far~
    Keep up the great work
    Check out my Blog
    Shop on my Etsy
    Like my Facebook

Thanks guys <3 really appreciate the support
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanti View Post

You should consider taking up mermaid tails as a hobby and make them xD

@kanti- Actually That is what I am working towards. Hoping to become a tail maker for all the wonderful mers in the future

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    this is so helpful with all your links and videos! I dont make tails but I know the people who do are going to love this. Thanks for sharing <3

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    this is so helpful with all your links and videos! I dont make tails but I know the people who do are going to love this. Thanks for sharing <3
    Thank you ^_^ and I am happy to share

The side of the fluke I want to show at the moment still is wet in some of the deeper areas , But I couldnt help peeling one of the dry parts up a bit to peek.(there is some residual clay still in the nooks and crannies and you can see the rubber picking it out but that comes right off with a paper towel) This is a bit of the rubber fluke texture you see being peeled out: Name:  fluke-texture.jpg
Views: 2590
Size:  24.0 KB
    obviously its not trimmed so that bit after the texture ends is just extra i put there to make it easier pulling out. who knows I may cut right into the texture and make frayed edges for this one, havnt decided yet. the rubber is pigmented grey and is intended for use on the King salmon tail.

More to come as things dry

I am very excited to watch your journey~! Your tail looks awesome so far
    Just keeep swimming. Just Keeeeppp swwiming -Dory

I actually have a Facebook page now~

Thankyou Kazekoh

It looks great~
    Let me ask you something, do you think the scale forms could be vacuum-molded? It seems the plastic process is very
    similar to just having it formed. I suppose the only problem would be if there were any wrinkles in the actual plastic sheet.
    Other than that, it seems like it would work
    Check out my Blog
    Shop on my Etsy
    Like my Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Kanti View Post
    It looks great~
    Let me ask you something, do you think the scale forms could be vacuum-molded? It seems the plastic process is very
    similar to just having it formed. I suppose the only problem would be if there were any wrinkles in the actual plastic sheet.
    Other than that, it seems like it would work
    I actually thought about doing that at first when I was throwing around ideas in my head, because i had seen other things quickly and easily molded like that on Mythbusters (the episode with the Jello Brain) hehe. I honestly am not sure that it would, maybe, maybe not. If I was going to try it that way I would choose a different type of clay or medium to build the scales with rather than the monster makers clay, because it never hardens and your sculpture can actually be easily damaged. if you were to only press on a scale slightly you will easily squish it.... maybe if you got the scales really cold before you used the vacuum on it they would be ok though, like i said not sure if the pressure from the vacuum would be enough to smoosh the details.
    The upside to the clay is that it does get hard enough at room temperature to brush on whatever your using for your molds. and when your done you can squish it all back up and use it over and over for more sculptures

*edit* like you said though about the wrinkles, I have no idea how those things really work but it may be difficult at least to keep wrinkles out of everywhere .
    Last edited by Dr. SeaWeed; 08-11-2011 at 03:39 PM.

oh iknow for a fact that the tail will be WICKED,,can't wait to see the rest!
    I Believe

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I find myself thinking a bit of Hannah's Tail that's in this photo...

from http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs15/f/20...nahMermaid.jpg (from Hannah's DA)

It's more realistic in that it actually looks like it belongs to a fish. So I see yours somewhere like this only fresh water fish colours!

Wow looks amazing! I can't wait to see more! Looking great so far and I love the scale shapes
    Mermaid Jewel

Yea, I've actually seen many instances where if the plastic isn't heated up enough or is not put on evenly
    enough, it tends to form wrinkles that get sucked down onto the mold. It looks crummy and can ruin your
    piece. I've seen people make great molds with VERY intricate patterns, though, you just have to practice
    making it go down right.
    Check out my Blog
    Shop on my Etsy
    Like my Facebook

the clay will easily melt with only a small amount of heat even in your hands.... so i dunno if hot plastic would completely ruin the monster makers clay.

Wow looks awesome i hope my tail will look that cool!
    There lays a lovely maiden combing her long hair

Oh yea, I forgot you mentioned that xD
    You would have to get something that could withstand being vacuumed. Probably
    a harder clay or maybe even just the pumpkin seeds themselves.
    I don't know, I've been considering purchasing a vacuum former recently anyway so
    I might try something out with it soon. But at least the idea you have done works
    so if anything that's a good fallback method :')
    Check out my Blog
    Shop on my Etsy
    Like my Facebook

Oh my that looks fantastic!! Great job Andrew. I am so excited to see the end result!

@AniaR, Jewel, Juku,Aubrin, and ReveD'eau, thanks so much you guys <3

@Kanti, Yeah , I looked at clays that hardened at first but I dont personally have an oven I could use to put something so large as a scale sheet in so that i could bake it and turn it hard, unless i made it smaller ... but i wanted it as big as possible for fewer castings hehe.
    And as far as seeds Go I didnt have the patience to sit and pick through melon seeds to seperate them into ones that were all relatively the same size and shape, I tried at first but it ended up looking too crowded and was hard to place them because of the bottom half of the seed , unless u remove the bottom half of them all. thats why when i made the push mold of the single melon seed I only pressed it into the glue halfway so i would have the detail on one side and be flat on the opposite side so it was easier to place without looking too too crowded.