Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ed's Latex Tail Project

it's lookin good!!!
    keep up the good work! We need more mermen around these waters!!!

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod Mermaid Dottie's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Dottie On Twitter Add Mermaid Dottie on Facebook Add Mermaid Dottie on Google+
    Visit Mermaid Dottie's Youtube Channel
    Looking good!
    Mermaid Dottie
    ATTENTION: Please use extreme caution when feeding the mermaid. Failure to do so could result in loss of digits.

So I've tried molding my fluke three times and each time the mold fails for some reason or another. Fortunately, my sculpt is still perfectly okay. I'm going to go talk to the sculpture teacher at school to see if he has any advice/ can sell me some bulk plaster so I don't have to keep running to the store and buying the 4.4 lb boxes of it.

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod ShyMer's Avatar
    Aww man, that sucks that it's not working out for you. I hope he'll be able to give you some tips.

In case he somehow isn't very helpful, there are a lot of people here that have plenty of experience making different kinds of molds. Maybe if you're very specific about what you're doing, someone will be able to help you figure it out.

Keep at it though! It'll look awesome when it's finished!

What did you use to make the mold?
    Mermaid Riia
    (Merenneito Riia)

Finland's first mermaid entertainer

www.merenneitoriia.fi

user formerly known as Riiarin

I've been using plaster, which has failed for various reasons or another. I know what went wrong and think I can correct it with my next go, I'm just out of plaster.

On the positive side, I went and talked to the sculpture professor today. Not only is he willing to sell me some plaster (apparently, the art department buys plaster in 50lb bags for $15), he is also letting me do my casting work in the plaster room at the lab! No more working on my dorm room floor. Now I just have to carry everything over to the school :B

Awesome news all around!

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod Mermaid Dottie's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Dottie On Twitter Add Mermaid Dottie on Facebook Add Mermaid Dottie on Google+
    Visit Mermaid Dottie's Youtube Channel
    Rock-a-delic! You'll be wearing that tail in no time!
    Mermaid Dottie
    ATTENTION: Please use extreme caution when feeding the mermaid. Failure to do so could result in loss of digits.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    If you still having problems with plaster, you could try something like this. It comes in 15 - 20 lbs.

Its a local brand, but I'm sure you have something like it in your country.

http://www.alumilite.com/ProdDetail....Putty%20-%2015

My fluke sculpt in it's nice new mold box.

Name:  HPIM4078.JPG
Views: 697
Size:  148.7 KB

Apparently Plastalina clay really likes to stick to cardboard, because it was really hard to get it off and onto the wood. I got it though. Poured the mold today with the help of the sculpture teacher, going in tomorrow morning to demold!

Senior Member Pod of The South MermanZen's Avatar
    Awesome !!!!!!!!!

And finally, a clean demold!

Name:  HPIM4080.JPG
Views: 638
Size:  122.7 KB

I'm going back in on Tuesday to pour my scales. Time to order some latex.

Awesome job!

I see an air bubble at the top (I had a bunch, your mold looks much nicer than my fluke mold did.) I've heard people just fill it with clay or some other material (I picked glue for some reason. Not sure why, it worked poorly.) Out of curiosity, did the sculpture teacher suggest any ways to fix bubbles?

I'm looking forward to when you get to the latex casting step, it's one of my favorites

well done!
    (Formerly known as Mermaid Claudia)

I'll probably fill in the air bubbles with clay, unless my teacher has any other ideas. There's a few of them, mostly on the outer edge.

Made my scale mold today. We didn't want to make a pour mold because then it'd be too heavy to lift, so instead it's a "shell mold"" using a special fibreglass-reinforced plaster. I dipped peices of fibreglass cloth into the plaster and lay them over the scale sheet. Took me around 4 hours. :U Demolding it tomorrow, I'm excited to see what it looks like.

I've also finally gotten to take my monofin for a test swim and WOW it's amazing. I zip across that pool. I've also got my friend into it, he's ordering a Finis Rapid so he can keep up with me. We're going to start swimming at one of the local pools weekly or so until summer when we can swim outside again.

On another note, does anyone know anyone who has made a tail using latex from Burman Industries? I've seen them reccomended a few places on the forum, but never heard of anyone actually ordering from them. I'm considering it because, given their location in Hollywood, I don't have to worry about the latex freezing in transit like if I order from Monster Makers.

So exciting! I know that I remember a few mers having ordered from both Monster Makers and Burn Man Industries. I believe I remember that it was Raven was the one who listed Burn Man Industries for her latex supplier, and she made at least 2 latex tails before moving onto silicone.

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Follow PaolaMF On Twitter Add PaolaMF on Facebook Add PaolaMF on Google+ Add PaolaMF on MySpace
    Visit PaolaMF's Youtube Channel
    what clay is?

Do you mean what clay did I use? I used a brand of Plastalina, which is an oil-based clay that doesn't dry out or harden intended for modeling and sculpting.

Demolded my scale mold yesterday!

Name:  HPIM4114.JPG
Views: 516
Size:  240.4 KB

First I had to peel off the Foamcore that I had all my scales glued to. Most of my scales decided to stay in the mold, so they had to be peeled out by hand

Name:  HPIM4115.JPG
Views: 572
Size:  148.4 KB

Fortunately, they came out quite easily, leaving me with my completed scale mold.

Name:  HPIM4118.JPG
Views: 572
Size:  162.7 KB

Ordering latex tomorrow, hopefully it will be here by Wednesday so I can start casting!

Member Euro Pod
    Oooh, sooo pretty!! Well done and good luck!
    Mermaid Myrthe, the mer without a tail, but with the spirit of a mermaid.