Thread: pre-sequined fabrics?

Senior Member Pod of The South Aziara's Avatar

pre-sequined fabrics?

I'm looking at fabric with the intention of making a new tailskin in the future. I found a green leopard print 2-way stretch polyester spandex with tiny clear sequins on it.

http://www.spandexhouse.com/search-r...rchKye=seq-371

I love the way that the sequins catch the light, it looks like tiny scales! And no painting, yay! But why have I never seen this sort of fabric used for tails? Is there some sort of issue with using a pre-sequined fabric?
    Also known as Salina Tideglow

Oh, it's glitter dot! That stuff gets used all the time in dance and ice skating outfits. It can work for a tail, but it won't last particularly long. The sequins will peel off quicker than the design pattern will wear off. That's probably why it doesn't get used in tails a lot/at all.
    آناهیتا پری دریایی
    Anahita, The Persian Mermaid
    Facebook - Shop - Tumblr - Storytime with Shahrzad - Blog

Oh well. I may use it anyway because the only other similar pattern I found was stretch velvet. If the color holds up, it'll be worth it for me. I'm keeping my eyes open for other options just the same.

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Miyu's Avatar
    My tail is made with spandex with some of those dots on it (not all over), and I am actually making a new tail to swim in because I'm afraid of all the neato scales peeling off my tail the first time I swim in it! -_-;

However, I think that glitter-dot fabrics can make marvelous "dry" tails! I have a small stash of silver and gold glitter dot I intend on using in tails for land-use only.

~Miyu the Rainforest Mermaid~

TwitterFacebookInstagram
    Fundraiser (Soon to be updated)

My dark yellow/orange tail has those golden dots and is stretch velvet. I've used it very much (dry and wet) and almost all of the dot's are still there

Hmm, that's good to know, Fenicia! I'll have to take some swatches of my patterned tail's fabric to the pool and tie them to myself as I swim so I can test it (dunno how my cheap spandex holds up to your stretch velvet)

TwitterFacebookInstagram

Found the same pattern minus the glitter dots on ebay. So no worries about anything falling or scraping off. Showed it to my hubby, and he said it looks like a muskie. So I'm a tough fishie, lol. This will be my 'yay I'm back to pre-pregnancy weight' celebratory tail, so I'll be making it sometime next spring/summer.
    Name:  $_1.JPG
Views: 241
Size:  84.7 KB Name:  muskiechart.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  207.3 KB

Yay for fellow "tough fishie" tails! I also have one that I guess looks like a cat pattern? It looks like exotic fish pattern to me, but other people think it looks like cat-print, LOL!

TwitterFacebookInstagram

I really do think your leopard print tail is awesome, Miyu! That's one of the reasons I started thinking of finding some for a tail(hope you don't think I'm copying, that's why I got a very different color). Leopard/cat print has always been a favorite of mine. I had a carpet of it as a teen in my room, haha. Not to mention all my various leopard print clothes.

Aww, yay! I don't mind at all, I think we need more fun-patterned tails out there! I'm flattered that I was a source of inspiration for your own tail.

TwitterFacebookInstagram

Senior Member Pod of Cali Meronica's Avatar
    Add Meronica on Facebook
    I made a gold tail with this stuff for a photshoot! It was used in a bathtub with only the leg area visible, so it didn't have a monofin or anything, but it holds up great as long as you don't scrape it up on rough surfaces (just like any other tail material, lol!)