Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Total Amateur Attempts Fabric Tail

Total Amateur Attempts Fabric Tail

Hi again everyone! So after much thought and consideration and waffling and worrying and etc. I have decided to try to sew my first tail as per the traditional mer right of passage. I have watched the videos and read a few threads, so hopefully I won't botch this too badly.

As of now I have my fabric. It is a nice four way stretchy stuff with just a bit of shimmer to it. I've also got some special measuring fabric to make my pattern. Besides that all I have is my basic sewing kit with generic thread, scissors, pins, a white marking pencil, etc. So step one will of course be getting all my measurements.

Oh, and I don't have a sewing machine, so this will be all hand sewn.

Advice, tips, and warnings are all welcome and really appreciated!

Fancy a cup of mermaid tea?

I look forward to seeing it.

Sent from my LG-D959 using Tapatalk

I am going to have to hand sew mine too

Sent from my LG-D959 using Tapatalk

I know some others on here have done hand sewing, but I can't recall who. I also have no clue what stitch to use and to be honest I only really know two stitches. But I can learn, I've done it before!

Senior Member Pod of The South Mermaid Saoirse's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Saoirse on Facebook
    Follow Mermaid Saoirse on Tumblr
    Congrats on the first tail project! I've made three tails before and I learned a lot of lessons from them.

Tips:
    - Since it's four-way stretch fabric if you want a tight tail I recommend making your pattern a little smaller(about an inch or two) than your measurements. I made my first tail to measurements and while I could get it on quick it caused a lot of drag in the water.
    - Upholstery thread is a blessing, even for small projects like this. It's not too expensive and one spool of it can be enough for more than one tail.
    - Learn how to do the zigzag stitch. It's a lifesaver on stretchy fabrics.

Good luck! Looking forward to seeing the final result.
    Saoirse (Seer-sha) means "freedom" in Gaelic, which is what I feel below the surface. I'm a freshwater mermaid.
    Empress of the Strid Empire Pod

Thanks Saoirse! I looked up the zig zag stitch and it seems to be just alternating vertical and diagonal stitches, so it doesn't seem too hard. I'm guessing I should keep the stitches pretty small, but I don't know if I should go over it twice or not. Can too much stitching be bad?

I'm already thinking I'll need to go back to the store for some elastic for the waist, so I can look at other threads when I do.

Senior Member Pod of The South Mermaid Saoirse's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Saoirse on Facebook
    Follow Mermaid Saoirse on Tumblr
    No problem, it's always exciting to see someone's first tail.
    It depends on the person's preference when it comes to stitch size to an extent. I likes to keep my zigs or zags no longer than the width of my pinky nail and the tails turned out okay.
    I'm unsure if too much stitching could be bad if it's a stretchy fabric I know for non-stretch fabrics I've never had a problem with going over seams.
    Saoirse (Seer-sha) means "freedom" in Gaelic, which is what I feel below the surface. I'm a freshwater mermaid.
    Empress of the Strid Empire Pod

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    There are two ways to sew zigzag stitch. Make sure you use the one where the zigzag is on both sides, which is the alternating diagonal lines.
    The other way leaves straight stitch on the other side and is not so stretchy. It does stretch but not as much a proper zigzag stitch.

I hate hand sewing. I have a sewing machine, if it fits in under the foot, I'll def shove it through! Good you have the patience for that cos I don't!
    Last edited by Mermaid Jaffa; 07-15-2015 at 11:13 PM.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Jaffa, I was hoping you would lend me your advice once again! Do you mean the zig zag chain stitch? If so, I can tell I'm going to need to practice that one a bit.

I actually find hand sewing to be relaxing, while my minimal experience with machines has been mildly nerve wracking. I understand they're great once you get the hang of them, and if I get more into sewing my grandmother has offered me hers.

Here is a pic as my typing wasn't very clear.

When one side is finished, turn over and repeat for the other side, making sure to poke in the same holes or as close as you can. When completed it will look like lots of Vs together. VVVVVVVV

I've done it with half centimeter sized stitches to sew fins and a pair of bra cups. Neither has come off or ripped.

Name:  handsew zigzag stitch.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  89.8 KB
    Last edited by Mermaid Jaffa; 07-16-2015 at 02:55 AM.

Oh, okay! That is a lot easier. Could you also clarify something about your open fluke technique? Do you hem the edges first before you sew the fin lines?

I also looked up what upholstery thread is available and could only find one shade of blue much darker than my tail material. I wasn't sure if that would be okay or not.
    Last edited by Ciriun; 07-16-2015 at 01:27 PM.

Read some more threads and now I think maybe I'll need a liner?

Do I just sew the liner to both halves of the tail before sewing them together? Or is there some other trick I'm unfamiliar with? And how important is having a liner?

Add Celaeno on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciriun View Post
    Hi again everyone! So after much thought and consideration and waffling and worrying and etc. I have decided to try to sew my first tail as per the traditional mer right of passage. I have watched the videos and read a few threads, so hopefully I won't botch this too badly.

As of now I have my fabric. It is a nice four way stretchy stuff with just a bit of shimmer to it. I've also got some special measuring fabric to make my pattern. Besides that all I have is my basic sewing kit with generic thread, scissors, pins, a white marking pencil, etc. So step one will of course be getting all my measurements.

Oh, and I don't have a sewing machine, so this will be all hand sewn.

Advice, tips, and warnings are all welcome and really appreciated!
    This is awesome and ambitious and you are brave and rad! I will be following your progress with baited breath! I prefer the ease of a sewing machine, but having completely hand-sewn and hand-quilted a baby quilt before, I totally get what you mean about hand-sewing being relaxing. It can be quite meditative.

Thanks Celaeno! I hope I don't disappoint!

I hand sewed my daughter's first tail. It didn't take long and I didn't use a liner. In fact by hand sewing you have more freedom because there's some places a machine couldn't stitch. I'm hand sewing my top, too. one thing I found helpful was to use safety pins to fit it properly as I went. Much easier to get on and off than using straight pins. Good luck!

eta that I've now nade four fabric tails from JoAnn spandex, and never lined any of them. Hers do wear out rather quickly (I'm way more careful than my kid is).
    Beautiful beaded tops and silicone fins and flukes for enhancing your tail at my Etsy shop: Fancy Fish Fashions!
    Follow me on Facebook

Yes, hem all edges before sewing the fin lines. Gives it nicer look.

Unless you're aiming for a tattered edge look.

One thing about liner in a tail is, you have to sew it properly, not bag style like I did. Mine is super hard to put back on when wet, whether in the water or poolside!
    Last edited by Mermaid Jaffa; 07-17-2015 at 09:36 AM.

All my tails are fabric and none of them has a liner and aren't see-through

Okay, so skipping the liner for this tail. Thanks everyone!

And Dancing Fish, thanks for the suggestion of safety pins. I've got a big packet of assorted sizes from previous cosplay stuff.

I don't suppose anyone happens to have advice for the elastic waistband? I know to buy swimwear elastic and to use the zigzag or stretch stitch for anything with it, but I don't know how to actually put it in. I've tried to look it up and most of what I've found has said to make a casing and then sew that in at the top. Is that correct?

I don't use elastic in my waist, as the tail kept slipping down when swimming, instead I use a cord and special pearl to keep my tails in place: http://users.telenet.be/the-mermaid/...n/meermine.htm (scroll down to the waist-part)