Thread: Fiberglass monofin for small feet help please!

Fiberglass monofin for small feet help please!

Hi all,

I'm considering making my first silicone tail (about time, been thinking about it for 8 years now!)and was dead set on the finis competitor until I realized the smallest it comes in is a medium which fits a women's 7.5-9. I'm a woman size 6 anyone know if they run small or if finis makes this in a smaller size?

If not, any recommendations to a similar fiberglass monofin that would fit my shoe size? Also considering the hydra as it seems to be popular but not too fond of the ankles being spaced apart like that.

Oh yes, and as if there weren't enough questions how do you get silicone to cure on the rubber parts of a monofin?

Many thanks in advance, I will love you forever if you can help even a little!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A too-big monofin is always better than too small! Don't forget that you can wear neoprene booties or socks to pad out the space. Maybe look at the size of the smallest Leaderfins footpockets, they go down to a small.
    Long story short, you don't! Silicone won't cure against the rubber, so you need to make the tail in a way where the silicone is bonding to itself.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania The Water Phoenix's Avatar
    Be careful of too big monofins, you can get blisters so use neoprene booties or socks. I have some monster feet, size 8 1/2

Do you think the socks or boots hinder the performance of the monofin? P.S. I LOVE you guys for answering so quickly let alone answering at all

8 1/2 is not monster feet! Haha I think the standard is 7.5 so you're not far off at all silly

No, the socks don't affect it, plus they're excellent for protecting your feet from blisters.

Do you happen to have the competitor or a monofin with foot pockets? When it says 7.5-9 is the foot pocket basically a 9? And would you happen to know how many neoprene socks I would need to make up the 3 size difference? I thought about doing the leaderfin but I was searching around and someone said the ankles are farther apart and somehow the fiberglass fin gets water in it?

No, I have the Leaderfins one, and it was me who said those things. The feet are further apart than in the competitor, but it gives you the advantage of more space to get your hand in to pull the straps on. The water issue is because some water gets between the footpockets and the fibreglass.

As I have kid-size feet I have a Leatherfin and a Triton( kids-version of the Hydra), but in my tail I prefer my Triton

Haha

So with a LOT of researching, to help anyone else who stumbles here and has the same question. I bought a waterway model 2 medium stiffness. Waterway makes the blade for the competitor so it's equal in quality and I chose the model 2 over the model 1 because it's slightly smaller (by an inch and a half) and I'm petite. They also had sizes that go all the way down to US women's 5 I think. Anyway if you ever need any gear, go to freedivershop.com I must've emailed them a million times back and forth with so many questions! They never lost patience and answered me several times a day, quickly! Insanely fast and great service.

I have to choose my monofins wisely since I have wide feet, my finis wave monofin would hurt my feet after a couple hours of usage. I ended up selling it and investing in a leaderfins monofin which is PERFECT for my wide feet.