Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clichés

Clichés

I'm hoping to start a Mermaid Series on YouTube with a few of my friends. I've been looking at different clichés I should avoid.
    Right now I have,
    Girls finding an object turning into a mermaid.
    Every mer controls one of the elements.
    Its always mermaids never mermen.
    The characters are always just running and hiding their tails.
    Finding out their parents are merpeople.

If you have any I missed that would be great.

Forbidden Mer romance with a human
    The SeaGlass Siren

Thanks, missed that one.

turning into a mer after 10sec after touching water

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Fenicia View Post
    turning into a mer after 10sec after touching water
    But only after you post on 10 videos and say h20 ten times.

Hey good luck! And remember that some cliches are ok, they're popular for a reason! The ones you have are a bit overused though

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Wesley View Post
    But only after you post on 10 videos and say h20 ten times.

Lol

Hey good luck! And remember that some cliches are ok, they're popular for a reason! The ones you have are a bit overused though
    I agree some clichés are okay. I'll be using the touch water turn mermaid type thing, but the characters have jewelry that's enchanted to help them stay human when they touch water.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Kait's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid of Orbegon Lake View Post
    the characters have jewelry that's enchanted to help them stay human when they touch water.
    I like this, reminds me of Vampire Diaries and their daylight rings haha.

Also having only stick thin mermaids with long flowy hair. We are just like people, all shapes, sizes and hair styles
    Mermaid Kait

Also having only stick thin mermaids with long flowy hair. We are just like people, all shapes, sizes and hair styles [/QUOTE]

The two of us writing it are more curvy, and have different types of hair too. Which is great in diversity. We are also going to have a rang in ages acting in it. One of the youngest actresses is 6.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Kait's Avatar
    Woohoo sounds great, look forward to seeing it
    Mermaid Kait

Quote Originally Posted by Kait View Post
    Woohoo sounds great, look forward to seeing it

Thank you.

Im new to posting things, so sorry if things look funny or are posted wrong.

Having no real control of turning into a mer
    A lot of mers in any shows don't sing???
    Mers who are aware of the human world too much
    mers who seem to not even believe humans exist? Like I'm sure they'd have seen a human at least once bruh
    All the mers look the same *glares at H20 and their same blonde,brunette white, tall and skinny mermaids*
    There usually isn't any talk of mers from different cultures, I'd like to think that mers aren't one homogenous culture and that it changes around the world.
    Not enough info with the merfolk lore. Like why are they here? What do they believe in?
    A mermaid who has to go on land for either love, or to find a sister who fell in love
    A powerful god as a father.

Do you mean cliches from the mermaid series on youtube or mermaid clichés in general? But i'll give em both for what its worth.
    Things I am tired of seeing:
    Mermaids who are princesses, and specifically mention their father is the king of the seas.
    Mermaids being disgusted at humans eating sea creatures. I am pretty sure mermaids eat sea creatures too or at the very least have witnessed fish being eaten by other animals before. "Fish are friends, not food"<--- Not today bruh.
    Not really mermaid related but....characters talking to themselves. This is bad writng mistake because its not realistic. People don't talk to themselves, cartoons can get away with it, but its really bad and noticeable in live action. Avoid it. Characters can push information to the audience without having to narrate it for them.
    Greek/Roman deities. Poseidon and Neptune that is.
    Mermaids being able to speak to animals. Now I don't really have an issue with this, but its that the animals can understand the mermaids...when they are speaking plain English. By that logic, shouldn't animals be able to understand humans?
    - Storyline of "Character becomes mermaid after find X object at the beach or going into a "moon-pool" at midnight" <--- give it a rest guys. There could be far more interesting ways to make someone into a mermaid.

Things I would like to see:
    - Mermaid language. Mermaids speaking English right from the start bothers me (I am sorry, I am a writer and I usually try and go for some realism). I would prefer it if the mermaids had their own language (you could edit dolphin noises or whale songs or even sonars for example) and have the mermaids learn to "speak human" which could lead to some comedic episodes where they get into mishaps because they misunderstand things. They could be telepathic though which could also have some cool storylines.
    - Mermaid culture. Do they have any beliefs? Rituals? Holidays? Dances? Stlye of clothing? What is their history, have they had communications with humans before? Why do they stay hidden.
    -Mermen!
    - Mermaid clothing. Usually we have the sea shell top, but i'd like to see more styles of clothing in general.
    - Mermaids from different parts of the ocean. Are mermaids from colder regions similar to mermaids from warme regions? Are mermaids that swim around Africa the same as mermaids who splash around by Europe? Do all mermaids have the same tails? The same powers? Etc, etc.
    -Queen of the seas. We usually get the Poseidon/Neptune/triton expy character or they are usually mentioned. We don't really ever get a sea Queen.
    Last edited by SeaMansa; 04-20-2016 at 02:59 AM.
    Up From The Sea, We Rise
    Up To The World Of Skies
    There's Never Been, Not Ever Before
    A Child Born of Sea & Shore

Member Rocky Mountain Pod BubbleNeon's Avatar
    To be completely honest, I was a little too lazy to read through all the comments to see if anybody wrote this, but my biggest (call it a pet peeve) cliche is when the Mers can't tell anybody!
    Why, cant they tell their parents? Are their parents gonna throw them out/disown them, because THAT would be interesting.
    Or could you imagine the dad jokes, or the mom sneaky jokes. Like when a mom "slips" that you're on your period, but instead she just smiles and winks to her friends like; "Oh we have to go. We have some ~fishy~ business to attend to, if you know what I mean?"
    Then all her friends just sit there like; "....... wut?"

Or even tell a best friend? Why does everybody have to go all "Gravity falls" and "trust no one"?

Also, why couldn't a Mer start a business and/or show their tail, and just let everyone assume it's fake? It'd be so funny to have little kids freak out saying; "You're not real!" Etc. Etc. When in reality, that little kid has no idea.

Anyways this is just a rant now I am sorry! but yeah, try not to go too over-board on the whole "secret" thing?

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 5020T using Tapatalk

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Shows I've watched, have merfolk with one blonde haired, one dark haired, one brown haired. They're Westerners or Caucasian. Why not have ethnic merfolk? And the evil ones are always either dark haired or blonde.

Why can't there be silver haired, redheads, pink hair, green hair, Afro hair etc.

And what's the attraction to coming on land?

Why not have a mer family that's been living on land due to their generations ago ancestor(s) being outcast from the merpod or ocean. Its always teenagers or young kids cast as the mermaid or merman.

I'd like to see something with a different plot altogether.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    The forbidden love thing goes further: Forbidden contact with humans. Also, forbidden for humans to know of the mer. That is, the mer general population get to know all about the human civilization, but its forbidden for the human general population to know about the mer civilization.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Aria View Post
    http://merbooksblog.blogspot.com/

The top post covers a lot of them.
    That doesn't sound so much like mermaid cliché, but rather like "every somewhat supernatural series for US teens"-cliché.
    And they misspelled Andersen.

Quote Originally Posted by Echidna View Post
    That doesn't sound so much like mermaid cliché, but rather like "every somewhat supernatural series for US teens"-cliché.
    And they misspelled Andersen.
    Haha yeah, I think its because mermaids are becoming popular in terms of YA novels.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

I would like to see mers who are vegans. :-)

Thanks everyone. These are great! I will be looking out for many of these.