Thread: Do you prefer fabric or silicone tails?

Senior Member Pod of The South Rebela Hunter's Avatar

Question Do you prefer fabric or silicone tails?

I've always wanted to see which the community liked the most!

I, personally, prefer fabric tails because they are less expensive, are very flowy, and can be customized even after the tailmaker, or yourself, finished the tail! With the tail I'm making, it's impossible for any tailmaker to know what I'm talking about, and it'd be damn near impossible to put my idea in silicone!
    I also like being able to wash it, hang it to dry, and have it ready the next day instead of all the hassling clean-up :P
    Don't get me wrong, though! Silicone does have an insane amount of detail and realism in it !

So, which do you prefer? Silicone or Fabric?

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Fabric

Sequins

Silicone

Both Fabric and Silicone / Hybrid

Other
    Last edited by Rebela Hunter; 02-17-2017 at 06:18 PM.
    'And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.' - Matthew 4:19 (KJV)

Hobbyist Mermaid & Orca Enthusiast
    DeviantART || Facebook || Instagram

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    i cant choose! I love fabric for ease and cheapness, I love silicone for the wow factor and the sfx artistry...
    i

Senior Member Pod of The South Slim's Avatar
    Not to make it more difficult for you but you already know my new tail is going to be a hybrid so I don't know where this falls in on your poll.

Member Undisclosed Pod MermaidJeanette's Avatar

Visit MermaidJeanette's Youtube Channel
    Personally I think their both beautiful, but if I had to pick I'd pick silicone/latex tail. I love the realistic look they give to the tails, and that they are longer lasting. I like how they hind the monofin better when you take dry photos. Fabric one I feel show the monofin lines and your legs. In water, I feel their not to much of a differences, but out of water I think their a huge differences. I would say anther one I like is when people mix fabric and silicone/latex together. I find it so initiative and fascinating. You get the beautiful monofin without the annoying line the show with fabric but a lot cheap alternative. I hope this doesn't sound like I'm ragging on fabric tails, this is my personal taste, but I still think fabric are pretty in their own way.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Mermaid Tula's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Tula On Twitter Add Mermaid Tula on Facebook
    Follow Mermaid Tula on Tumblr
    My first tail I made was strictly fabric (other than the monofin and its modifications) and I loved her. Unfortunately I've had to retire Reptar as she's got a few holes and she's a bit stretched out. My second tail in the works is going to be a hybrid of fabric and silicone. I love fabric for the ease and I love silicone for the realistic look.
    Hi! I'm Sam, aka Mermaid Tula, aka Comatose Angel.
    Hey everyone. I just opened my store on Facebook.
    http://www.facebook.com/tulastidepool

Mermaid Tula's Facebook Page

User previously know as "Comatose_Angel"

I like both
    * fabric:
    - cheap
    - easy to find in local stores
    - 1 monofin for all my tails
    * silicon:
    - realistic look and feel
    - scales
    - lots of glitter that won't came off

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Fabric. Easy to replace. Easy to maintain.
    Formerly known as ireneho

I prefer to swim in fabric tails. I have both, but I like how easy the fabric tails are to transport and put on/take off. I have some problems with my hands, so I can't put my silicone tail on by myself. Someone has to help me.

I prefer silicone! And I actually find silicone tails more flowy. But both have their merits:

Silicone:
    - flowy
    - realistic look
    - high quality and durable
    - gorgeous!
    - heavy weight (I like swimming with extra weigt)

Fabric:
    - Cheap
    - Lots of choice; lots of sellers
    - easy to put on
    - easy sizing (stretchy)
    - easy to sell due to sizing and cheapness
    - easy to maintain
    - easy to transport

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-N910F met Tapatalk
    Last edited by MermaidLiara; 02-17-2017 at 01:19 AM.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    depends on what for. I use fabric a lot of just swimming for fun, and also for dry gigs. I just bought a mertailor whale shark fabric tail- can't wait. I also teach people in fabric tails.

but I love my silicone tails too. they are just a lot of work and heavy

Thanks for all your answers, guys! You all bring up plenty of great points about the advantages and disadvantages of different types of tails
    <3
    'And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.' - Matthew 4:19 (KJV)

I can't say which one I prefer, because it depends what I need it for. For beginners, spandex tails are the way to go. Later, you keep your spandex tail for training and you use your hybrid/silicone tails for performances/gigs and shoots. There is really no point for me to risk damaging my nicer tails (aquarium silicone and neoprene and sequin neoprene) during weekly practice, unless I am practicing specifically for a gig.

Can I vote sequins?

As lovely as silicone/latex tails are, I have to say my spandex/sequin tail. I love the glimmer of sequins, which just can't be replicated with silicone. I also take my tail to remote locations (like a 10 mile hike through the woods to a waterfall or swimming hole) and I'd much rather carry a 5 pound fabric tail than a 30 pound latex tail that far. xD Gotta say, not having to carry around lube all the time is pretty convenient too.

Triton Mahtlinnie of Puget Sound
    Facebook / Tumblr

@exdraghunt, That would count as fabric And I totally understand that!

@Dame Melusine, you have some very good points! Thank you for your input

I have both (fabric and silicone), and honestly I prefer swimming in fabric. Much easier to cart around and put on. But my fabric tail now counts as a hybrid since I've since added silicone flukes and fins. Nothing beats a silicone tale for realism and pure glorious fantasy, though! I still bring my baby out for special occasions.
    Beautiful beaded tops and silicone fins and flukes for enhancing your tail at my Etsy shop: Fancy Fish Fashions!
    Follow me on Facebook

I totally agree with exdraghunt. I am gonna vote sequins too! I think its different than fabric alone though. I own one and glued all the sequins on the fabric individually. It requires more maintenance than fabric because you need to repair the sequins every once in a while but man when she is in the water she shines like real fish even more so than some silicone tails I've seen.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

@Dancing Fish - Makes sense! Thank you for your input

@Mermaid Aria - Now that's I've researched more on sequin tails, I see that you're right :P Thank you for the clarification !