Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sequin fabric advice

Senior Member Euro Pod Astridia's Avatar

Sequin Tail ( my first ever handmade tail)

EDIT!! Decided I would make this thread my Tailmaking journey rather than make a whole new post for it (saves space and keeps the advice I received in one place XD)

It may be slow as work and life keeps me busy but will keep you updated ( ya'll seem to enjoy building threads.... me too I LOVE them) !!

*Original*
    Hi All! I am pondering making a sequin/fabric tail. The sequin fabric I have is lovely but has very little stretch to it. I have a number of Ideas to get around this issue but I would also like some advice from mers who have used sequin fabric before.
    Ideas:
    Have only partial sequin fabric i.e. dorsal only or just down the sides, the rest being in lycra/spandex. other stretchy fabric and use spare sequins to sew on individually as a gradient between the two fabric types.
    Have a Lining in stretchy fabric but have the sequin fabric as a not so tight but snug fitting OUTER layer: would allow for complete sequin coverage.
    It's so pretty but so fickle XD
    Any help or ideas would be fantastic!
    Last edited by Astridia; 08-24-2017 at 12:55 PM. Reason: decided I might as well use this post to chronicle my tailmaking journey rather than make a whole new post and waste space

Senior Member Pod of Cali Mermaid Clara's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Clara On Twitter Add Mermaid Clara on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Clara's Youtube Channel
    if it has any stretch to it at all sew it so the stretch goes horizontal around you.
    *Previously know as KellyMermaid*

I used a sequin fabric that had only two-way stretch, and yes, make sure it wraps around you horizontally. You'll probably have to make your pattern a tad long hip-to feet wise to make up for the lack of stretch in that direction.

If it doesn't stretch much in either direction, then you'll probably have to use it on only part of the tail.

Either way, you will most likely need to line it. I don't know which fabric you're using ,but the sequin fabric I used on my tail was see-through behind the sequins and itchy to boot

Triton Mahtlinnie of Puget Sound
    Facebook / Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by exdraghunt View Post
    I used a sequin fabric that had only two-way stretch, and yes, make sure it wraps around you horizontally. You'll probably have to make your pattern a tad long hip-to feet wise to make up for the lack of stretch in that direction.

If it doesn't stretch much in either direction, then you'll probably have to use it on only part of the tail.

Either way, you will most likely need to line it. I don't know which fabric you're using ,but the sequin fabric I used on my tail was see-through behind the sequins and itchy to boot
    It's a netting backing so yeah I'm gonna get the itchies, it's that reversible sequin stuff so yeah definitely thinking I'm going to need some stretch fabric o give the tail even a bit of stretch so i can get in/ out/ move /swim in it.

Attachment 41893

So here's a very quick design and dump of my current thoughts. The Lycra (May be spandex, might be actual swimming costume fabric if I can find some, either way it will be stretchy and suitable for water) and organza need buying/ordering but I have the sequin stuff WOO ( I cant keep my hands off of it, it's SO therapeutic to play with..)

As it IS my first tail any advice, tips or if you spot any potential problems PLEASE hit me with them, I really appreciate it.
    Hope you enjoy following my journey in Tail craftiness.

I haven't tried making something this form-fitting out of a non-stretch material, but some things you might consider

How hard will this make it to bend your knees and ankles? You will probably also want the ability to reach down to the footpockets to get your feet in them (though I confess I don't know how hard the finfun monofin is to get in and out of. But the ability to reach your own footpockets is handy) Might be a good idea to test patterns on a cheaper, similarly nonstretch fabric.

I'm excited to see how this goes! The double-sided sequin fabric is so gorgeous. I saw someone make a dry-tail out of it once, but they didn't have to shuffle very far for the art piece it was intended for.

Triton Mahtlinnie of Puget Sound
    Facebook / Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by exdraghunt View Post
    I haven't tried making something this form-fitting out of a non-stretch material, but some things you might consider

How hard will this make it to bend your knees and ankles? You will probably also want the ability to reach down to the footpockets to get your feet in them (though I confess I don't know how hard the finfun monofin is to get in and out of. But the ability to reach your own footpockets is handy) Might be a good idea to test patterns on a cheaper, similarly nonstretch fabric.
    Yep gonna make a test first, this is something I have been thinking about as I'd like to be able to swim in it.

Well I was messing with the sequin fabric and pretty much just pinned it round my legs (just to see ow much manoeuvrability I could get out of it) And it looks like I'm going to have to do pretty much the whole front/underside in the lycra. can still sew sequins to blend the edges, also ordered some Lumiere paint to help with that ( Cause sewing that many individual sequins would drive me insane XD)
    Does Lumiere need a setting agent to be OK in water? or do you just paint it on let it dry and it's good? (never used Lumiere before but it seems to be the preferred brand on here- also readily available where I live so yay?)

Crafting BEGINS!
    First the spandex body pieces (two; one for lining under the itchy sequin backing)
    Attachment 42105
    Then the Fluke pieces:
    Attachment 42106

Next, that lovely sequin stuff ( Have a buttload left over.... so many ideas for it already.... inc poss a matching top.)
    Attachment 42107

ORGANZA EXTRAVAGANZA (three shades, black, wine and crimson)
    Attachment 42108

all pieces cut, just to flame edge them (melt the edges so it doesn't fray, being careful not to TOUCH the flame cause this stuff flambe's like rum soaked pancakes)
    Attachment 42109

Hip fins!!
    Attachment 42110

All I managed today; More soon!
    Last edited by Astridia; 09-19-2017 at 03:46 AM. Reason: fixing images

Organza all flame edged, and pinned to fluke ready for sewing!
    Attachment 42111

All rolled up inside to keep it safe whilst sewing the sides together.
    Attachment 42112

All together!
    Attachment 42113

Zigzag seam along edge as another layer of protection against seam popping - basically so that the tail wont simply split right open if a seam goes while swimming. No Echhi anime clothes shredding for me!
    Attachment 42114

Something else I made while waiting for materials to arrive: Crocheted fishnet waist wrap.
    Attachment 42115

it has glass beads to add a little weight and interest.
    Attachment 42116

More soon!
    Last edited by Astridia; 09-19-2017 at 03:48 AM. Reason: fixing images

All the body pieces together (plus hip fins)
    Attachment 42117

Trying it on for size in case it needs tailoring (Perfect fit 1st time... the sewing gods were smiling on me today that NEVER happens XD)
    Attachment 42118

Showing the seam (Decided that the sequins might be better being the "Belly" as they wouldn't get sat on and damaged as much....plus I can play with them ..they're reversible... turn black when i pet them. the other side has a zipper in so i can get in/out, even the stretchyness of the spandex wasn't enough to get over my wide hips X_X
    Attachment 42119

Standing up to get this one, the tail goes right up to under my bust (I Could extend it to make it a one piece swimsuit type... not decided on that yet.) Here you can see the reverseible-ness of the sequins XP My god they are fun to play with.
    Attachment 42120

More soon!
    Last edited by Astridia; 09-19-2017 at 03:50 AM. Reason: fixing images

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Mermaid Kane's Avatar
    Astridia... I can't see any images. D:

Same here, please don't use photobucket for sharing your pics as they only want your money for it I'm moving all my pics to Flickr now because of it.

Images should be fixed now!! (It's been a while since I used photobucket i had no idea they'd gone pay to use.... they'd been an amazing site for years. XD (flickr wont let me make an account so will just have to upload or use dropbox from now on XD

Anyway Enjoy!

:00 they are really cool!

Fluke Attatched!
    Attachment 42131

Now to find a painting style to blend the red and black.
    Attachment 42132

Now to wait for it to dry and see

AND decide if I'm going to add a top so it's an all in one (the tail currently goes all the way up to under my bust) or make a separate top for it.

Added the top part; halterneck with adjustable ribbon ties (note to self..... make sure the fabric is the CORRECT way round... I floundered 3 times...... stitching the fabric the wrong way XD
    Attachment 42189

All done from the front!
    Attachment 42190

All done from the back! The lumiere paint isn't as shiny as I expected it to be (the website makes it look SUPER metallic-shiny) So I may go over it a few times to see if that helps ^_^.
    Attachment 42191

Good job!

Astridia, you have a great tail, I like the color!

Quote Originally Posted by Denise View Post
    Astridia, you have a great tail, I like the color!
    Thanks! I got to swim in it monday so when i get the photos back might post one or two up so peeps can see it in action. The fins and fluke were so FLOWY ^___^.