Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Speed tail making

Speed tail making

There's only 45 days until my diving trip and my tail is definitely coming with me!

The tail will have an individual scale method and be monofin free. I want to keep this 100% silicone using a couple of different hardnesses to find a balance between weight and propulsion. This is the progress so far.

This fluke mould is huge! She took 3kg of pinkysil to cover.

The hip fin and her mirror mould are done and waiting to be filled.

I have just over 40 scale moulds for the main body and a few smaller sizes for the join area of the fluke. I won't completely fill the moulds so the final scale will just be the teardrop shape. I figure I'll need to pour these 30< times... glad I got a 30 minute demould silicone!!

If I have time I'll also be putting a starfish top together too, using moulds of a few types of starfish

I ran out of moulding silicone 3 times this week, thanks to wishful thinking! The mould shop guys know me by name now

Progress photos will be coming in fast over the coming weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks great so far. Keep it up!
    "The Mer in me, it's easy to see. Long golden tresses, a heart set free in the Sea."

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora Celestia View Post
    It looks great so far. Keep it up!
    Thank you

looks awesome!

Sent from my SM-G920T using MerNetwork mobile app

test scales fresh from the mould. Paint in the morning!

Quote Originally Posted by DancingJohari View Post
    looks awesome!

Thank you Johari 🦈

You are welcome! Am hoping to start maki g my own silicone tail soon, am trying to figure out which techniques I am going to use Am looking forward to seeing how yours turns out

Senior Member Euro Pod Astridia's Avatar
    Oooh! looks awesome *Follows*

Add Alicia26 on Facebook
    Very cool. * follows too *

Sent from my SM-G900I using MerNetwork mobile app

Just going to ask because I'm a noob... How will you be able to swim in it without the monofin? I can't imagine there would be much propulsion at all really.

Quote Originally Posted by KaileyAnne View Post
    Just going to ask because I'm a noob... How will you be able to swim in it without the monofin? I can't imagine there would be much propulsion at all really.
    Great question! I'm incorporating different hardnesses of silicone in the tail to maintain speeds like a monofin. It will still have a great amount flexibility so it will be easy to travel with.

Had a busy week with work/kids...but things are moving along, I think I'm about 1/5th of the way through the scales. They feel amazing!!

I've been pinning them to a canvas to keep them out of the way and also to work out placement, air compressor and airbrushes are hopefully arriving next week!

oooooo! Looks very cool!

Senior Member Euro Pod Astridia's Avatar
    those scales look gorgeous and the LOOK super soft....... I always wonder when people make individual scales like this how you affix them in place, as in on the final product, is it silicon-ing them in one by one or do you put a layer of Silicone over the top/under while they're pinned in place?

I 'glued' them on a lycra base (on my body double) 1 by 1 with some dragonskin and then I added a glitter-coat on top and a layer at the lycra-side.

Quote Originally Posted by Astridia View Post
    those scales look gorgeous and the LOOK super soft....... I always wonder when people make individual scales like this how you affix them in place, as in on the final product, is it silicon-ing them in one by one or do you put a layer of Silicone over the top/under while they're pinned in place?

Exactly what Mermaid Fenicia said. One by one with more silicone. Then it's time to airbrush, so excited to use all the amazing pigments I've bought!

WOW!! That scales are just BEAUTIFUL!! I will follow this!

~Neerai Every, the Pirate Mermaid~

Quote Originally Posted by Neerai View Post
    WOW!! That scales are just BEAUTIFUL!! I will follow this!
    Thank you! I’m about half way through them now. This week will be nothing but scales fins and fluke pouring.

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Mermaid Kane's Avatar
    They (the scales) are so gorgeous. Can't wait to see this tail finished!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Kane View Post
    They (the scales) are so gorgeous. Can't wait to see this tail finished!!
    Thank you Mermaid Kane, almost done with the scales!!