• Lake

41 33.06%
  • Other

25 20.16%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Public Area Swimming

Junior Member Pod of Cali Koi Pond's Avatar
    I haven't received my tail yet but I think when I do I will swim in the ocean. I'm super nervous because I don't do well with crowds and I'm not sure i'll have anyone to lift me to the waters. I don't know any mermaids in Southern California its totally new to me. I'm usually garbed with the Pirates and gypsies and One party I met two mermaids on the Markmen Party Ship of POTC in SD and I totally fell in love.

Senior Member Euro Pod Azurin Luna's Avatar
    Add Azurin Luna on Facebook
    swim in the local pool when only adults are allowed, which makes it easier for me to swim alone in my tail. I have had some odd looks, but most of the people don't mind me or find it cool that I was swimming in one. I once even had that a guy said that we all should swim like mermaids/men at the moonlight swimming hour of the pool. It will never happen, but it would be cool.
    At the end of the month I will be swimming in a lake in hopefully my new mermaid tail

I might even swim in the sea in my mermaid tail when I go to curacao this summer.
    Your imagination is your only limit

I love the smile and wave bit!

I swim weekly with only my monofin in our public pool as nothing below the knee is aloud here. when I ant to swim in a tail I have to go to a private pool or in a hotelpool

I swim 3x a week at my local rec center. It's usually pretty full, but the deep end (9ft) is pretty empty most of the time. I've never had any problems with people questioning my safety, especially after they see me swim in my tail. The lifeguards actually watch me closer when I don't have a tail on! And I've never had any problems with people wondering why I'm in a mermaid costume. I've always theorized that because I live in a landlocked state, they just assume that a real mermaid would have to visit the rec centers! It's actually been a wonderful experience for me to swim in public. I've rarely had any problems, most people are just excited to see a mermaid. I wasn't sure at first if people would be supportive, but where I'm at, people love it.
    Visit me on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/mermaidsofthegreatsaltlake

And check out my memoir of mermaid adventures and mishaps!
    http://memoirsofmermaidleiloni.blogspot.com/

Just keep swimming!

Are you serious? I'm moving to Mildenhall in 2 weeks, and I can't imagine not swimming.

Since I don't have my tail yet I didn't try to swim with it anywhere. I think I can try in some lakes and rivers (I don't fear about tropical microscopic organism, it's too cold) or I can phone to the pools and ask them if they allow me to swim when I'm alone there. I'm really shy but I can try. What can they tell me?

I take whatever I can when I go anywhere!
    I usually travel a lot and take either a tail or just my monofin and hang out with the people whose opinions I care about and try to ignore those that dont matter (none the less it can be quite difficult sometimes :/) If you don't like swimming in a full fledged tail in public then just use the monofin. If someone questions you, you can play it off as a "core workout." However if someone is interested you can tall them all about your mermaid endevors!

This actually happened to me while swimming at a public pool. The life guard came over to talk to me and was SO excited about the monofin and asked me lots of questions.
    •○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•
    "The breaking of a wave cannot explain the whole sea."
    •○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•
    ○•○•○•○•

-Vladimir Nabokov

Havent swam anywhere but my pool in the backyard, but once i get my FishButt, im gonna swim EVERYWHERE!!!!!!! Mwahahahaha!

yup.
    she believed she could, so she did
    formerly known as Kalani

Quote Originally Posted by Ithilindil View Post
    Since I don't have my tail yet I didn't try to swim with it anywhere. I think I can try in some lakes and rivers (I don't fear about tropical microscopic organism, it's too cold) or I can phone to the pools and ask them if they allow me to swim when I'm alone there. I'm really shy but I can try. What can they tell me?
    It's the same for me, i have no tail yet, but when i will have it (i'm ordering neoprene) i will go to swimming pools in winter and this summer in the mediterranean sea :-) as i live next to (i can see it from my house) !

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Narina's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Narina's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonflower View Post
    If you swim in your tail in a public area (pool, ocean, etc...), how do you deal with onlookers or naysayers? Do you swim alone or with another mer-friend, and have you noticed a difference in the way people react if there's more than one of you?
    was at jellybean pool and a group of guys walked past me and Charlotte. SO awkward!! we were on the bank and heard them coming, but couuldnt escape (being in a tail) so we just looked down and hid our faces :P
    Its always the worst with people my age :L teenagers either give "THAT LOOK" that im sure everyone has experienced at one time, or they yell out mean things :S
    i usually try to stay away from too many people, i dont want to attract attention until i have a silicone tails that looks legit
    User previously known as "Natasha".

I haven't swam swam in my tail yet, just did a photoshoot in the water...so THIS FRIDAY!!!!! MAIDEN SWIM!!!!! WHOO HOO its going to be at my friends apartment pool. she is going to use my udnerwater camera and take stills and vid for me but i have lakes around here and hotels with pools and even a college that has a rec center with a large pool. I am still awaiting an answer about the tail in the college pool tho. So the safest bet would be to go to my friends apartment pool, plus i will have a swimming buddy and a camera operator

Right now I'm just swimming at a local pool - no tail or monofin, yet (tho I have a monofin on the way). I do laps in a lane and bring my own dive rings to encourage me to swim closer to the bottom of the pool. When I asked the staff if it was okay to use dive rings their response was "As long as you're not throwing them at people!" I'm hoping they're just as easy going when I bring my monofin in =D

If not, there are like 3 other local pools I could try. If all else fails I also have a few friends who have a seasonal, outdoor apartment pool - so I might just have to "use them" during the summer >.>
    Give my facebook page a like and I'll return the support!
    http://www.facebook.com/JinaDModel

Junior Member Pod of Oceania hay_31's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Manfred View Post
    It's not the Adam and Steve thing that upsets me, its the lisps and the hand flipping. You got a pair I assume so at least act the part.

I am glad you dont have a problem with same sex attracted people. You do have to be respectful of how you word things on Public forums. Everyone is different and I am in a same sex relationship 'Adam & Steve'. Your son will not be gay because of your hairy chest and a tail, its far more complex then that. Something like an art form and a means of fun shouldnt be reduced into a possible sexuality.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Elle's Avatar
    Follow Elle On Twitter
    Visit Elle's Youtube Channel
    Pools in my area are really strict in there rules, so I have no issues swimming in any of them. I like going to the beach, or inlets. Can't swim in the main river, as it's filthy and I don't feel like getting eaten by bull sharks.

Why is a little boy seeing a man in a tail a problem? It's a dude in a tail....that's it! it's not like they're trying to force feed homosexuality on him. If he ends up gay it's his choice. (That or you made it such a taboo he had to see what all the fuss was about and decided he is happier being gay)

I'm all for guys swimming in tails, gay or straight. There aren't enough mermen in the world! Why try and prevent something from happening, it's not like it's hard core drugs and it's going to ruin his life. It's just swimming with a very complex flipper on.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod MerAnthony's Avatar
    Add MerAnthony on Facebook
    I swim in our local pool and everytime I do I get questions. Where I got the tail, how much and is it hard to swim in. Then there are a very slim few that are scared of me. But sence it is winter time I am going to be swimming at a local college. Tomorrow is the first time there, hope it goes well.

I only really get the chance to swim when I'm on holiday (Live in the UK) I live right next to the river ribble wich is great for photoshoots but have yet to go actualy swimming (Plus it only stopped snowing over here like a month ago and it's still not rose above 13 degrees) As for not being allowed to use mono fins in public pools here it is annoying but to be honest I don't really like the idea of swimming in front of a load of people. If I'm abroad I prefer using outdoor pools because I think they genraly have less chemicals because I have always found my eyes hurt less after swimming in an outdoor pool.

Quote Originally Posted by Elle View Post
    Pools in my area are really strict in there rules, so I have no issues swimming in any of them. I like going to the beach, or inlets. Can't swim in the main river, as it's filthy and I don't feel like getting eaten by bull sharks.

Why is a little boy seeing a man in a tail a problem? It's a dude in a tail....that's it! it's not like they're trying to force feed homosexuality on him. If he ends up gay it's his choice. (That or you made it such a taboo he had to see what all the fuss was about and decided he is happier being gay)

I'm all for guys swimming in tails, gay or straight. There aren't enough mermen in the world! Why try and prevent something from happening, it's not like it's hard core drugs and it's going to ruin his life. It's just swimming with a very complex flipper on.
    Yes! I love Mermen! They are my favorite thing! We need more of them in the mer community because they are just wonderful.

Anyway, as far as swimming goes... I'm just starting out and I think I'm going to use my college pool. It's been years since I swam professionally so I need to get my kick strength back up.

Though I did get to swim in the Detroit river a handful of times. Of course I was tied to a boat by a life jacket and I was like 8.

Maybe if I get better I'll go out there again. Down side is there are a ton of boats, so I doubt it.
    Last edited by Mugzie; 08-08-2013 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Odette View Post
    one pair of boys said i was fake and were making fun of me at a performance so later on i splashed them with my tail.made them smile =)
    ahahahah EPIC WIN!
    I must do it too! XD
    (Formerly known as Mermaid Claudia)

when I'll create my tail, I'd like to swim in the ocean (I live just a few steps from the Adriatic Sea), but I'm not completely sure: there's always someone on the beach and I'm a bit shy xD
    (Formerly known as Mermaid Claudia)