Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hydra

Senior Member Pod of The South
    I originally ordered a Hydra from DiveInn (but ended up returning it when they sent the wrong one). I think US shipping was around $45. I was going to try to have my boyfriend in Scotland receive it and then ship it to me to try to get cheaper shipping, but since it's such a large/awkward shaped package based on the research he did it wasn't really going to be any cheaper to do it that way. He just looked it up online somehow, though, so there could be cheaper options.

I've looked everywhere. There are none. I did find out, however, that the Rapid is, umm, actually much bigger than the Hydra and moves about the same in the water >.>
    Feel free to friend me on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Kakarotte View Post
    I've looked everywhere. There are none. I did find out, however, that the Rapid is, umm, actually much bigger than the Hydra and moves about the same in the water >.>
    Good to know on the size difference, I guess it's about the size of the wave then? I think the clear plastic is more of an advantage to me. I detest the bright yellow fins D: I'm still planning on taking the parcel to the post office to get it priced for to send to east coast america so I'll let you guys know - unless no-one is really that bothered cause it'll be a huge hassle to get it there XD

Quote Originally Posted by Kat Arnold View Post
    Good to know on the size difference, I guess it's about the size of the wave then? I think the clear plastic is more of an advantage to me. I detest the bright yellow fins D: I'm still planning on taking the parcel to the post office to get it priced for to send to east coast america so I'll let you guys know - unless no-one is really that bothered cause it'll be a huge hassle to get it there XD
    My review on the 'Triton Monofin' from 'Sweammer Monofins': Triton is the smallest size of Hydra, about the same size as a wave
    http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...6905#post66905

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidFenicia View Post
    My review on the 'Triton Monofin' from 'Sweammer Monofins': Triton is the smallest size of Hydra, about the same size as a wave
    http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...6905#post66905
    yeah I saw your review before and it helped convince me on the hydra =) and yeah the sizes do go Triton - Hydra - Minos

I got the Hydra with a pair of neoprene socks just to protect my feet cause I blister like crazy

When I go for a silicon tail, I want it with a Triton in it

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidFenicia View Post
    When I go for a silicon tail, I want it with a Triton in it
    easily arranged hehe

OMFG IT FINALLY BLOODY SHIPPED!!!!!!!

holy hell haha. I got an email the other day saying NOPE NOT THE 3RD, saying instead that it would be in stock on the 8th. And low-and behold, buried in my junk-mail today was an email saying that it had finally been shipped to me! HUZZAH *happy mer-dance*

I ordered it 15 April 0.o oh and I have some info for those wondering about shipping the parcel is 3.18kg (I'm going to just take measurements of the box and this weight info to the post office once it arrives)

I shall post photos of it once it arrives!
    lord if I'm like this over a monofin, good job I'm going to be a tailmaker... I'd never manage to wait for a tail to arrive :')

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Merman Dan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat Arnold View Post
    the sizes do go Triton - Hydra - Minos
    Every conversion chart I look at gives me a different answer. What is a US Men's size 10? a 44? I wonder if a Minos would be the best bet for me, then.
    (Formerly known as Æolius)

Quote Originally Posted by Merman Æolius View Post
    Every conversion chart I look at gives me a different answer. What is a US Men's size 10? a 44? I wonder if a Minos would be the best bet for me, then.
    You're a eu 44 or a uk mens size 10 roughly. But yeah generally anything bigger than a eu 38 or 40 and you need the Minos. I'm a uk women's 6/7 and the hydra is a snug fit on me! So jealous that your option comes in Black :P

Junior Member Pod of Cali indigo mermaid's Avatar
    Follow indigo mermaid On Twitter Add indigo mermaid on Facebook
    Visit indigo mermaid's Youtube Channel
    I have one of these and I love it. It's a great budget option perfect for pools. It doesn't have the poor ridge design like comparable models such as the Finis Wave. If you're doing a casual ocean dive in 10-15 feet of water I'd say this would be an okay option. If you go any deeper I would certainly be more comfortable in a fiberglass option. It's about half the speed of my fiberglass mono. I work a lot harder in the Hydra which means less breath hold time underwater. But in a pool, I'm still easily pulling 1-2 minutes. An advantage of the Hydra is that I can maneuver in pools much easier than with my fiberglass. It's smaller and has a bit more flex. The foot pockets are farther apart than is typical, but it doesn't bother me while I'm swimming. The ankle strap is comfortable and easy to get on and off. However, compared to my fiberglass ankle straps it does move around a lot. I've never had to adjust my ankle strap on my fiberglass mono and find myself messing with the Hydra strap quite a bit. I've tried other monos that slip around and make it impossible to get a solid kick. This one stays put well enough for me to still enjoy using it. The Hydra is ideal if you want to cut and modify it for more of a mermaid looking fin shape. Nothing beats a fiberglass mono, but for the price and a pool swim, I recommend the Hyrda over comparable models.

I bought the pink colour and it works great! I love it. As for ocean swimming its pretty good but I live in British Columbia and haven't gone on any free diving experiences in the ocean.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Elle's Avatar
    Follow Elle On Twitter
    Visit Elle's Youtube Channel
    I ordered mine a little while ago. The ETA was 3rd/4th of this month. But I was sent an update today stating it was changed to the 5th/6th of this month. I don't yet have a tracking number for it, which I guess means it hasn't been mailed yet. I really hope to get in on or before the 6th because I'm going away and I want to use it in the hotel pool where I'm staying. Fins crossed

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    "Will you walk a little faster?" said a Whiting to a Snail
    "There's a Porpoise right behind us and he's treading on my tail!"

Tail making progress http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...-making-a-tail

oh btw fyi! they are easy and safe to cut down I cut down my black minos with a drywall/keyhole saw (a fairly mean looking knife-saw) and rounded out the middle point and edges with woodworking files and sandpaper. It's holding up well since I cut it and it still has loads of power to it

Edited to add: lesson learned: dont' try to use a dremel on them. It only melts, doesn't cut properly and quickly breaks the blade disk as it's a soft acrylic/plastic. I can attach pictures of the saw I used and the finished result if anyone's interested?
    Last edited by Mermaid Lilium; 03-03-2015 at 07:52 AM.
    User previously known as "Kat Arnold".

- Mermaid Lilium Fanpage -
    - Photography Fanpage -

How do I post a pic

Member Rocky Mountain Pod Onyx Jewel Catfish's Avatar
    Shipping on the hydra from dive inn to the states is at 98.42 right now!! Damn! It costs more than the hydra itself.... ⚓️That sinks��
    Enjoy Today, Tomorrow Is Not A Promise.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    ^^
    it's the same for me with the Oceanika, which is why I never got one although I'd really like to have it.

Member Rocky Mountain Pod Onyx Jewel Catfish's Avatar
    I got my hydra! I am a US size 8.5 -9 and it fits well but if my feet were any bigger I would need a Minos. Haven't got to swim yet but I like the fact that the foot pockets are ergonomically correct for good hip posture. I think I will have to wear it when making the body cast for my tail so I keep the proper gap... Has anyone had issues with that when using the hydra in a tail? Thanks in advance.
    Enjoy Today, Tomorrow Is Not A Promise.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Does anyone have an idea if removing the protection ridges from the fin's base can be done?
    Talking about the two black ends sticking out beside the footpocket

Name:  hydra_monofin.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  87.8 KB

I read somewhere removing the braces can lead to instability and kills propulsion, but the blade itself is pretty solid.