Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: MONOFINS, THE OFFICIAL THREAD

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I've got a question for anyone who has purchased a Competitor monofin from Amazon! Unfortunatley there is nowhere in Australia that stocks them (or has them in stock) so the only place I can buy it is from Amazon; the issue is, it doesnt state the hardness of the blade!! Has anyone purchased from there and knows what hardness they send? Thanks so much!

Anyone who is looking to buy a monofin, here's my tip: Check e-bay first! I just got a used finis competitor monofin on e-bay for $117! I just swam in it for the first time today, and I'm impressed with it. It was very gently used and hardly shows any wear. And gosh, it's AMAZING how fast I can get from one end of the pool to the other! Though e-bay isn't necessarily always reliable, I find it good to check once in a while, because you can sure find bargains sometimes!

Add kat.hendriksen on Facebook
    Follow kat.hendriksen on Flickr Visit kat.hendriksen's Youtube Channel
    Hi, is there a way to make bigger foot pockets on existing monofins?
    I found a good second hand one but its three sizes to small.. If there is a way to mound bigger foot pockets on it, that would be great

Greets,

Kim.

Senior Member Pod of Texas Seatan's Avatar
    Add Seatan on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by kat.hendriksen View Post
    Hi, is there a way to make bigger foot pockets on existing monofins?
    I found a good second hand one but its three sizes to small.. If there is a way to mound bigger foot pockets on it, that would be great

Greets,

Kim.
    What kind of monofin is it? Do you have pics? I would need more details before making any suggestions...
    Once upon a time I was known as Seavanna. Going by Seatan these days. I always wanted to be the high lord of underwater hell.

Add kat.hendriksen on Facebook
    Follow kat.hendriksen on Flickr Visit kat.hendriksen's Youtube Channel
    Here are some pictures of the monofin (: Name:  $_85.JPG
Views: 2710
Size:  37.9 KBName:  $_85 (1).JPG
Views: 2655
Size:  35.8 KB

Just wondering, but has anyone tried making a mould of a fin and then melting down polypropyline pellets to create their own monofin? Are there any key dangerous elements that I seem to be missing that would pose as a reason to not do so?

Junior Member Euro Pod HaleyTremont's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leilari View Post
    Just wondering, but has anyone tried making a mould of a fin and then melting down polypropyline pellets to create their own monofin? Are there any key dangerous elements that I seem to be missing that would pose as a reason to not do so?
    This message is from 2015 but still with no answer. I have no idea what is polypropyline but I have the same question, does someone already try to make a silicone / latex or whatever monofin ? Like a Mertailor or Luna ? If we want to try, is it with dragon skin or a special stiffer silicone ?

Ok i have a question i don't know if its already been answered (probably on another post but i am gonna be tedious i am sorry) I'm new to mermaiding and I plan on getting my first Monofin for christmas and I have womens 8.5 sized feet. Mine are relatively narrow as my family calls them dancer feet haha. Anyways So i keep hearing and researching the differences between the two and low and behold some people have said the rapid is to big for feet that are even 9 sizing, While the wave being "child size" is to small and is to tight. I know nothing about these fins so its really stressing me out. i don't want to have blisters because of a very tight fin.

thanks for the info and putting up with this new fishe's obnoxious questions! Happy Holidays may the tides be in your favor!
    When you feel totally alone, you either stay at the shore line.
    Or you dive deep into the depths of the ocean and find what you're made of.
    -unknown

Neoprene Socks?

Hello, mermaids! I'm looking to buy some neoprene socks to use with a monofin. I'm seeing a lot of neoprene socks on Amazon that have grippers on the bottom. Or neoprene socks that are structured more like booties than a sock.

My guesses are:
    1.) Seems best to get socks with no grippers? (Seems like the grips would make it too hard to get the monofin on?)
    2.) Seems like sock structure would be better, not boot structure? (This is my guess based on the way ankles are usually positioned while mermaid-swimming.)

Can anyone please help me answer these questions / determine how to choose neoprene socks?

Thank you so much in advance!!

hi! I got neoprene socks, sock shape and no grip. I really love them.
    they are a little slippery when walking by the pool, but are quite handy and sturdy when walking by the ocean or on sand/stone.
    I have no problem gettin my monofin on. and they are just as easy to get off when i need to.
    It keeps me from getting blisters too!
    I use the "classic monofin" from Magictail.
    hope that helps.

Are there any monofins you could use to avoid less heel showing in a silicone tail?

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod MerAnthony's Avatar
    Add MerAnthony on Facebook
    For less heel showing depends on how the tail is made an who makes it. But if you want to show less heel I would say get a monofin that covers the whole foot / without open heel.
    Be Happy Swim Free

The Competitor is known to have less of a heel appearance.

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mermaid Hamant's Avatar
    Hey guys, I just went online to buy a Finis Tempo monofin for one of my friends as a graduation present, but I couldn't find any anywhere online. The websites are all out of stock. Did this fin get discontinued?

Yep, they stopped making them. If you want an in between-size monofin, you could buy a Hydra

Senior Member Pod of the Midwest Goldie's Avatar
    Hey there, I think that the link for the Oceanika Merfin is an old link. This one goes right to it https://mahinamermaid.com/merfin

Senior Member Pod of the Great Lakes Arella's Avatar
    Follow Arella On Twitter Add Arella on Facebook
    Anyone have tips for getting your feet in the pockets when you put your tail on?

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod Mermaid Dottie's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Dottie On Twitter Add Mermaid Dottie on Facebook Add Mermaid Dottie on Google+
    Visit Mermaid Dottie's Youtube Channel
    I think Raina tied shoelaces to her straps and pulls them upward while pushing with her foot.
    Mermaid Dottie
    ATTENTION: Please use extreme caution when feeding the mermaid. Failure to do so could result in loss of digits.

Has anyone tried the Finis Shooter monofin in a tail?

I kind of want to try it on my "test" tail. I don't want to put my Competitor in my first ever silicone tail (for fear that it doesn't go so well), but I also don't want to make my first silicone tail something I can't wear in the ocean or a river (Obviously silicone does not come cheap, so making it with a Foil or Wave when I do most of my swimming in places with currents and tides is not a great investment)... The Shooter seemed like the likely choice to put it because it's half the price of my Competitor, and rigid in construction like one, but has anyone else tried it?
    آناهیتا پری دریایی
    Anahita, The Persian Mermaid
    Facebook - Shop - Tumblr - Storytime with Shahrzad - Blog

thank you for this page so helpful!