My daughter is wearing her Aussie green tail, and I'm in a homemade tail. We're both wearing Fin Fun monofins. I have to say that for the total mermaid newbs we were last summer, Fin Fun was a fantastic way to jump into the world of mermaiding. Their fins are durable and affordable, and the newer tails have a very high-quality print on them that has lasted well through a summer of sun and chlorine. They look simply gorgeous underwater and kids were flocking around her. My daughter was on the large side of their fitting chart, but custom orders are available and they delivered very quickly (within three weeks of our custom order, if I recall correctly). The spandex is pretty durable. Also, their customer service is great-- very quick responses to questions.That said, these tails will not last forever. After a few months of heavy use, my daughter's managed to snap one monofin and wear holes through the fluke in the high-stress-points on the end. But Fin Fun sells replacement polycarb inserts now, and they're thicker now. They also sell vinyl protective coverings on for the fluke tips, to help preserve the ends of the neoprene cover and fabric. We just got them, and we'll see how well they hold up. (I sewed patches onto her tail, with streamers. She loves it even more for the Authentic Battle Damage.)The monofins themselves, as people have noted here, are made of polycarbonate and are very floppy. But now that we've compared them to some Finis fins, I have to say that I really love the design of simply having anklets holding the fin to your feet instead of the foot pockets. Some people might not like the way that it emphasizes your heels, but we don't mind a bit. I've been practicing with the Finis Rapid and it's really a weird feeling when going back to the flippy-floppy fluke again. If I could combine the rigidity of the Finis with the Fin Fun style anklets, I totally would. :) They're also easy to take off in a pinch, but will not fall off your heels the way Finis heel straps do.I'm embarking on my silicone journey, but we'll always love our first fabric tails. :)