Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mermaid Tail "Library"

Quote Originally Posted by Seavanna View Post
    Please don't assume that. I am a teacher and I do not want my students to see me as a mermaid; however, I have a Facebook fanpage for Seavanna--I just only share it with mermaiding friends and family. To find it my students would have to know what to look for on Facebook (just like they can't find my personal Facebook because I use a fake last name). It would be very unlikely for my students to run across my Facebook page. Tumblr, however, is an instant reblogging system. With one click of a button that picture can be all over the internet, and the poster can change the tag from, say, "Seavanna" to "mermaid" on their repost, then anyone looking up the "mermaid" tag could see that photo of me! When it comes to posting pictures of other people, it is only fair that you contact that person. A photograph is copyrighted to the person who took it, so technically you would be violating my copyright to repost without permission.

I do think what you're going for is a fantastic idea; however, please remember that many of us on here are adults who love mermaiding but, for personal reasons, do not want it spread everywhere. I basically lost my job because I posted mermaiding stuff where my students could find it, and I never want that to happen again. I had to take down my unboxing video, close my "The Fairy Mermaid" website and etsy store, and shut down my "The Fairy Mermaid" facebook. I kept the Mermaid Seavanna facebook, however, because it was the mermaid identity that I didn't let slip. I just don't want to lose it, too.
    I'm not doing it on tumblr, so people won't be able to repost.
    The pictures are linked from their "source" and I'm mainly taking pictures where only the tail shows.
    I'm not going to publish pictures of say, mermaids here on the forum without their consent. When I said " I can only assume that the ones who have Facebook fanpages want to be seen."
    I was thinking of mers in tails on for example Mertailors page, or on very "public" pages like Mermaid Melissas, och Mermaid Lindens.
    My intention is not to exploit, and I ABSOLUTELY not want this to be negative for any mer.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    yeah it's best not to assume in any case. I have to get permission from some of my photographers in regards to where I post my photos. And people in the community do get really upset when people repost their images. It's always best to link the exact credit, not just the source link but the actual website link (so FB link, not source code link) so people can click and visit the page. I'd advise against cropping photos so it's only a tail. Iona wrote what I feel is an epic rant about how often people do that to her and why she finds it rude You're taking on a big thing but I still do feel it's a bit redundant. I think the mermaid tumblrs pretty much cover it all. but have fun anyway

Cropping bad!

Just to make it clear, it's not supposed to be every picture of every tail, just one picture of each tail. I'm not going to spam the whole thing with 20 pictures of a mermaid in her tail.

" It's always best to link the exact credit, not just the source link but the actual website link (so FB link, not source code link) so people can click and visit the page."

yup, I'm doing that!

The thing with the tumblrs is that there are so many photos on them that aren't really pictures of the tails, for me, it's just a mess. (I like sorting
    )

this is a wonderful idea can't wait to see how this works out!

Okay, here's a preview:

http://mermaidtailcollection.wordpress.com/

It's still a work in progress, so take that in mind.
    If you have any suggestions about for example a category you think should be added or anything else, please tell!

Super great awesome brilliant fabulous idea!
    This would be super great for the people who don't have artistic abilities ***cough cough ME cough cough*** or who want to have a little inspiration to get started. I can't wait and fully support this!
    Think about it: with a little bit of searching or even a different website that would allow you to do this, you could search by main color, accent color, caudal/dorsal/accessory fin types, silhouette, tail shape, etc.! And linking to the original creator would make it super easy to contact them with any requests--if they are a tail-maker--or any kind of permission-getting. Also, if they have a patreon page or another place to donate, you can link to that--especially if they're getting started with their own business.
    LOVE THIS! (Can you tell?)

Nicole
    That sea-maid's form of pearly light,
    Was whiter than the downy spray,
    And round her bosom, heaving bright,
    Her glossy, yellow ringlets play.
    -"The Mermaid", John Leyden

Nicole and Kat's MerNetwork

I think this is a really helpful site, Yulia. I like the way you've organized it by maker and by color, etc. It makes it easy to get tail ideas at a glance.

It will be challenging to credit each photo the way the photo owner will want it credited, and to be sure the owner is okay with having it posted at all. But if you can work that out, I think the site will be an asset to the community.

Great start!

Mermaid Galene (pronounced Guh-LEE-nee)

Mermaid Galene WebNeptune's Keep WebFacebookMG YouTubeNK YouTubeEtsy Shop

Neptune's Keep makes music with fish. Fish have hidden depths!

Senior Member Pod of Texas Seatan's Avatar
    Add Seatan on Facebook
    Looking good! You may want to change "realistic" to "realistic fluke" in FinFolk since they now have a realistic scale upgrade as well.
    Once upon a time I was known as Seavanna. Going by Seatan these days. I always wanted to be the high lord of underwater hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Galene View Post
    I think this is a really helpful site, Yulia. I like the way you've organized it by maker and by color, etc. It makes it easy to get tail ideas at a glance.

It will be challenging to credit each photo the way the photo owner will want it credited, and to be sure the owner is okay with having it posted at all. But if you can work that out, I think the site will be an asset to the community.

Great start!
    Yes, that is the biggest problem as I see it too. I will try to credit best I can, and ask for permission if it's a more private photo. It's easy too edit or remove a photo if that's needed too. Don't want to trample on any toes here!

Quote Originally Posted by Seavanna View Post
    Looking good! You may want to change "realistic" to "realistic fluke" in FinFolk since they now have a realistic scale upgrade as well.
    I named it after this:
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.n...b3b260dc243612

And it's listed as "The realistic", to keep it from cluttering I'm not naming the different fluketypes with the "-fluke" after it.
    It only looks weird when you see the categories on top of the pictures, because you see the names out of context.
    In the category list it looks like this:

So I don't think it will be mixed up with the scales.

I'm still looking for names for the older flukes Finfolk had in the beginning, do you think I should give them some in the meantime?

edit: Thanks for the great feedback!!

edit2: I'm trying to keep it simple, but I'm wondering about the colors, should there be more? If so, which should be added?
    Last edited by Yulia; 07-23-2014 at 11:48 AM.

wasn't their first one the leafy type fluke? it's probably something related to that. Anyways, I love this site! I had a merbellas tail so I'll pm you the best pic I have of it (since I didn't see Raven do a full preview on her site) so you can post it.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Pinterest could be an option as well. Maybe.

Thank you Ayla!!

Quote Originally Posted by PearlieMae View Post
    Pinterest could be an option as well. Maybe.
    I looked into pinterest too, but you can't make folders inside folders, so it didn't quite work the way wanted.

will fabric tails be included as well ???

Senior Member Euro Pod SeaNymph's Avatar
    Hm, I would ask the mers if they are okay with their tails being listed in that kind of "catalog". I can imagine that some people, especially when they have put great effort in the design of the tail, are not comfortable with that. Personally I would not want my tail to be listed in this way because I see my tail as body part and want to keep it mysterious to people instead of revealing it's tailmaker, material, category, flukestyle etc.
    From Africa: A calm sea does not make a skilled sailor. It´s the rough times that make what you are!

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    Yep mine can be listed too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Euro Pod *Celine*'s Avatar
    This is a great idea!!! Why did no one else ever came up with that :-p!!! I would be honored to have my tail on that site so feel free to use my pictures. :-)

@Seanymph, ofcourse if someone doesn't want their tail there, it won't. Though it might be kinda hard to find out who owns every tail that for example gets posted on Facebook. If a tail already is on Facebook "everybody" can see it. With that said, I absolutely will not grab personal pictures with a mer in them without consent.

Yes, there will be fabric tails aswell!
    As many types as possible will be represented on there.

Would you be able to link the tail owners in with the image. I would love to be associated with my finfolk tail because I had a hand in designing it.