Thread: Mer- directory

Senior Member Pod of Cali angelstarfish's Avatar

Follow angelstarfish on Tumblr Visit angelstarfish's Youtube Channel

Mer- directory

Shello everyone!!!

I am starting up a mer- directory for others to easily find mers in their community. please respond with a comment on your mer name, facebook page, website, your state/ province, rates and three fun random facts about yourself.

I'll start!!!

Mermaid Angel Starfish
    https://www.facebook.com/MermaidAngelStarfish?ref=hl
    http://mermaidangelstarfish.wix.com/angel-starfish
    located in San Diego, CA
    $145-$600+
    1) I love writing.
    2) I am an avid animal lover.
    3) I own my own Etsy business.
    “You were born wild. Never let them tame you." -Martha Graham

"Children of the sea,
    Lie down your heads to sleep
    As the maidens of the sea
    Carry you down to the deep…”

~Mermaid Lullaby

I don't know if you are interested but they kind of already have a directory started on this website, we have all pretty much entered our information on it. You should join and do the same

http://merdirectory.com

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    and it even has the same name!

Senior Member Pod of the Great Lakes Arella's Avatar
    Follow Arella On Twitter Add Arella on Facebook
    That merdirectory is more of an advertising platform and it has a fee. I thought she was thinking more along the lines of for other mers to track each other down?

Senior Member Pod of the Great Lakes Arella's Avatar
    Follow Arella On Twitter Add Arella on Facebook
    Yes I'm aware that exists . However it doesn't list any of the fun info angelstarfish suggested.

I know personally, I did not have a good experience with MerDirectory. For one, I had no idea this site existed until I found out I was one it. An add for me was put up without my knowledge or permission which honestly was kind of odd. I had emailed asking them to remove it, had no response and then messaged them on Facebook. This is what I got:

Name:  2222.png
Views: 300
Size:  24.2 KB
    Name:  1.png
Views: 291
Size:  23.9 KB
    Name:  33333.png
Views: 263
Size:  17.3 KB
    I mean, personally I was really weirded out and upset about this. It was rather frustrating being told "they did nothing wrong" and trying to be convinced otherwise when I had expressed zero interest in the site and for it to be taken down. Had I been asked for my permission to do this, maybe things would have been different. In the end, the ad was removed. What are people thoughts? Do you think that because something is on Facebook that constitutes/ substitutes giving permission? Has anyone else had similar experiences with this site?
    Last edited by Mermaid Nessie; 11-06-2014 at 08:45 PM.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    He puts everyone up without asking and often gets their info wrong. He keeps listing incorrect info for a lot of people. I had horrible experiences with this guy when I approached him about workshops at merpalooza and he said mermaids were divas and he would decide what the community wants blah blah.

My listing was also put up despite my copyright on my page it was copied and pasted. I'd prefer to only have halifax mermaids as a company up there and the girls and I all discussed this before.

If we are choosing not to put up a listing it shouldn't matter what our reasons are it should be respected and we shouldn't be belittled. We have our own personal and professional reasons for not wanting individual postings.

At the very least he should ask people first and make sure his info is correct. When I brought it up on fb many mers expressed concerns over being listed without their permission. Imagine if someone put you on any other online classifieds without your permission.

Anyway I didnt even bother contacting him about mine. He's awful to me no matter how polite and professional I am.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    meh.
    My experience with the site also hasn't been great.

I put up an ad myself (gotta say putting one up for someone else without asking and then quoting all sort of bull instead of removing it on request is just )
    and when the ad went live, it had a complete different title which was half a mile long.
    I edited it, but the change never went live.

Finally, I emailed him about it, and he told me "yes, I've edited the title so it contains better info and shows up on google and so on and so forth", and I told him I wanted the title to be editable, so I can change the location etc when needed.
    He told me it was changed already, but it wasn't.
    When emailed again, he claimed that was because I don't know how to handle a computer, and that for him, it clearly showed up with the edited title.
    I then asked a few friends to look up the listing for me, and nope, for them it was the unedited long title as well.

I emailed again, now he said "that's because your friends are on the same computer as you", I said "nope they live elsewhere :<",
    then finally he claimed there was a nonresponding script on the site, causing edits to not show up but now he fixed it.

The long, unasked for title was changed now, but it's still not editable, and I can't be arsed to go through all that again when I need to change it.

Yeah see he is super defensive with reasonable requests! You shouldn't have to argue with the guy to change the title, and who says he knows best about what the title should be? And he sneaks in personal insults. Like, it's INCREDIBLY unprofessional and this guy is aiming to make money off mermaids.

I had a lot of people message me with bad experiences and I would REALLY LOVE if they would come forward. I hate being the only one to publicly speak out because it looks like I'm the only one with an issue. When in reality it's loads of people hoping I'll speak for them.

I get he thinks he's this awesome guy because he's gone ahead and offered this "free" service. (though FYI in the beginning they were charging and I didnt make a posting because I saw him giving away free ones to loads of mermaids while expecting others to pay) He thinks he's doing people a favour. But when he links to fake fanpages, copies incorrect info, or does things without people's permission he's not helping.

It's one of those cases where this is a good idea but his terrible attitude and lack of professional behaviour will be the undoing of the whole thing.

I also don't like that they have a rating system that anyone can use. You dont even have to be logged in, or prove you're a client, or anything. I'm sorry but loads of people have ratings that are just BS because they had them the first day they created their page. It just undermines people who actually work hard to get good client feedback. /end rant

Anyway, just to follow up I sent him this email:

Hello there, my name is Raina and I represent Halifax Mermaids. I have a listing for Halifax Mermaids and we're very appreciative of the opportunity to advertise our company for free. However, after our bi-annual meeting we as a group along with our board of directors decided that we would prefer to only have a listing up for our whole company, as opposed to individual listings. We have several reasons for this but one of the main one being that it has been confusing to our clients when they try to search out information and they become confused about our demographic. (we've had similar experiences on other group listing sites like mermaidtales ) Also, our decisions on what we post online come directly from input from our board of directors, for whom we seek permission before making listings, websites, or joining other media based sites. IN addition, we've paid to copyright all of our materials on our websites/facebook (there is a copyright notice on every page of our website) and while I understand you're just trying to make things easier, it clearly states the content is not to be reproduced in any way without my expressed permission. You also previously has Mermaid Nessie up who is one of our group under both Halifax Mermaids and Atlantic Mermaids. One of the issues there is that she is underage and our company and local laws require us to have expressed parental permission for how we represent her online. So that created a but of conflict for us- so I thank you for removing the page. While we can't control everything that happens on the internet, like every good company we do as much as we can to limit the liability and create safe situations.

It would be very helpful to us if you would respect our decision to not have individual listings. I know from your end you see yourself as creating more opportunity for us and you maybe don't understand our position, but it is our position none-the-less. It is a bit unsettling also to see pages show up we weren't aware existed. While I know they have not come to you directly about it, when I brought it up on fb 10 mermaids posted they were unsettled by seeing a listing made without their permission. I encouraged them to either claim the listing and make it their original work, or to contact you about it instead. So don't be surprised if more people step forward.

Finally, I wanted to let you know that some of the listings you've posted on your own are incorrect. there are numerous "knock off" FB pages that are not the actual verified pages of the mermaids. For instances, there are several fake mermaid kariel ones. I saw you post on one of the fake Kariel pages that you'd created a listing that listed back to that page. But Kariel does not own or run that account. It's just a fan or someone who made a fake one.

So in conclusion, please remove "Raina the Halifax Mermaid" "Mermaid Mimi" and "Mermaid Mutiny" from the site. We are very thankful to have "Halifax Mermaids" up there, and we will continue to use that as our listing. Thanks for the hard work you've put into the site. I don't want to come off ungrateful, this is just causing some professional issues for us and will cause issues with something else we intend to do next year. So we appreciate your understanding and cooperation in the matter.

Best Fishes.
    We'll see if I get a response.

edit: sorry for all the typos, I'm literally on a wait list to get my eyes checked!
    Last edited by AniaR; 11-07-2014 at 12:50 PM.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    wow, such a long, carefully worded letter for something that should have been done asap when you explained what you wanted!

The listings are probably uneditable for a reason; he thinks he's the one who knows best what the title should be. (...)

If I move and still cannot change the location (I explained that detail too), I'll probably just delete my entry.
    So far, I've never met a potential client who had ever heard of the directory, so it's very unlikely I get any bookings from there anyways
    Last edited by Echidna; 12-06-2014 at 04:07 PM.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Update:
    some friends e-mailed me and said they couln't find me on the directory (they wanted to check if they could see a better title now), so I went and looked up myself and a few mers from this thread, and it seems we were all removed xD

I didn't bother to login to see whether my account was banned or somesuch (the site takes ages to respond to anything), but I thought I'd let you know since you wanted your entries removed anyway lol.

Thanks!!!

Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of The South
    I am sorry you have had to deal with this. I am sorry you approached him about MerPalooza back in the day. He was really at the time ONLY helping with a web site. I needed web help, but it was not my intention to try to have him be a contact for strategic partnerships. Back then, it was safe to say I don't think he had yet developed a passion for the Mer thing. Some people who are guerilla marketers and promoters, just do not "get" that some of us might feel that there IS such a thing as OVEREXPOSURE or maybe the wrong kind of exposure.

*Let alone any mistakes he and his overseas data entry staff that are actually creating the listings might be making.

Well on our end we just wanted continuity for our company and to respect the laws surrounding employing teens. It really just came down to how awfully he spoke to people and sort of always has

Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of The South
    Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    Well on our end we just wanted continuity for our company and to respect the laws surrounding employing teens. It really just came down to how awfully he spoke to people and sort of always has

I agree. Can't stand him.